[S3E5] Frayed

"Scott

"Scott." I said, trying to get his attention. The bus rocked back and fourth as cross country students were getting restless in their seats. "Scotty, you still with me?"

A dazed Scott looked up at me and nodded.

"Yeah.. sorry. What's the word?" He asked.

I looked at the iPad full of vocabulary words I was quizzing the boys on.

"Anachronism." I told him. I looked up and saw Stiles's brows furrow, signaling that he'd forgotten the definition.

"Something that exists out of its normal time." Scott said.

"Hey kind of like you." Stiles said, looking at me with a smart ass smirk.

I winked at him and smiled. I looked down at the iPad and swiped onto the next word.

"Incongruous."

"Um.. can you use it in a sentence?" Scott asked, grimacing.

"I can." Stiles said. "It's completely incongruous that we're sitting on a bus right now, on our way to some stupid cross country meet after what just happened. Incongruous."

"Out of place." Scott said. "Ridiculous, absurd."

"Perfect, next word." I said, pretending to read from the iPad. "Um Darach. Darach... it's a noun..."

I looked at Scott who was looking at me with a disgusted expression. He rolled his eyes and looked out the window.

"We have to talk about it sometime." Stiles said. "And we're gonna be stuck in this thing for like five hours, so why not?"

Scott didn't answer, he just looked out the window of the bus, glumly.

"Next word." I coughed, looking down at the iPad. "Intransigent."

"Stubborn." Scott said. "Obstinant."

The bus hit a bump in the road, which made us jerk a little in our seats. I saw Scott wince in pain.

"Oh buddy you okay?" Stiles asked. "We shouldn't have come. I knew it, we shouldn't have come."

"We had to." Scott said. "There's safety in numbers."

"Yeah and there's also death in numbers, okay?" Stiles said. "It's called a massacre"

Scott groaned and I looked at him with worry.

I sighed and motioned to get up. "Alright Scott I'm telling coach to pull over-

"No no no no.." Scott said, making me sit back down in the seat on front of them. "I'm alright."

"Well you don't look alright." Stiles argued.

"Would you just let us see it?" I asked, reaching out my hand to lift up his shirt. He grabbed my wrist and pushed it away from his torso.