Chapter 9 (Roman)

I just don't even want to think of that snake Noah right now. I'm driving us home presently and caressing the hand of the woman that has made me a smitten man. Amalia is sleeping as is Eiyah leaving me alone with my thoughts. Over and over I go over the events of the day and I still don't understand why the Mythlans want my Eiyah.

"No, no stop it Noah that hurts"

She's having a nightmare about him. I caress her hand and she tightens her grip

"Roman, don't leave me with him. No!"

She whimpered and my heart melted. 'Mine is the princess and I will wield my sword for her until my dying breath' I thought to myself as I took the turn into Amalias neighborhood to drop her off.

"Love you Mali. I'll see you at dinner on Sunday night?"

She nodded but stood at the door a moment

"I don't understand" she started "She looks like she's meant for you but Noah is able to calm her?"

I sighed bringing a hand down my face

"It's Noah's shifter magic. Maybe, maybe it's a good thing because after the ball who knows what will come about. We all know I'm not granted a match so to keep her would be going against our Goddess."

She hugged me after she'd closed the car door and I didn't know just how badly I'd needed it

"That woman is your match Roman. I don't know how but she is."

She kissed my cheek and walked into her shop leaving me alone with Eiyah. I drove the next couple miles to my house in silence thinking about all the things to come. If she really was made for me the book would show me. Screw what my father said I just need to get home and look.

Pulling into the driveway I walked around and lifted Eiyah into my arms. After encouraging her to go back to sleep she snuggled into me making me sigh in contentment. I love this. I love her. I put her into my bed and tucked her in before retiring to my study to find answers in the book

"Roman, she shouldn't be here"

I heard my father hiss from the shadows before he stepped into the light

"Why? Because King Mathias and Prince Noah will be upset?" He gasped "No need to worry, Noah and I have an understanding. So if you'll excuse me I need to take a look at the book"

He stood there still blocking my path infuriating me further

"Please stand aside father. I have business to tend to"

I was exasperated at this point but he eyed me trying to make me relent. I didn't. I pinned him with my own gaze before shoving past him

"The book doesn't have what you're looking for son. Those pages were destroyed 2 decades ago. I told you this is already in motion. You can't keep her Roman"

Gone were the niceties and the respect in there place stood only white hot anger as I gazed upon my father. Ever the pinnacle of mercy and grace but no more. He is a monster helping whomever to take away my happiness

"How could you let them take what's mine?" I growled "I am your son. You let me think I wasn't blessed with a match when you knew I had been all along"

His penetrative gaze faltered and he looked down at his feet defeatedly

"I had no choice. I wish you could understand. It was her hand or your life in which they still would've succeeded in taken her hand afterwards anyway"

His words only angered me more

"How old? How many children?"

I queried knowing he'd know if he looked at the pages before destroying them. Hearing him stutter at my question just made it all the more worth it. I wanted him to feel like the garbage he is.

"Marriage at 26 and four children. 3 boys 1 girl"

It stung. The truth of it all stung so much. He was crying. I should be marrying Eiyah this year not Prince Noah. He's taking my forever love away from me

"She's my match."

I spoke softly whispering to no one in particular then I walked back into my room pushing my father away as I moved past him yet again.

"I hate you" I sneered "I don't want this gift if I ever have to do what you've done to me to anyone else."

I closed the door behind me and climbed into bed with Eiyah. She snuggled into me bringing me the happiness I knew only she could.

"Roman?"

She rasped and I wrapped myself around her protectively

"I love you Eiyah"

The tears flowed freely from my eyes as I snuggled the woman meant to be my wife, my best friend, my soul mate

"I love you so fucking much"

I felt her hand wipe away my tears

"I love you too Roman"

Treaty be damned. I will find a way to have my Eiyah stay by my side.

"Sleep with me?"

I couldn't say no. I pulled the blanket up around us and drifted to sleep with my Princess in my arms.

A/N Eiyah and Roman love each other but is love enough? Will he continue to fight for her? Will Eiyah fall for Noah and his shifter magic? Let me know your thoughts in the comments.