TWENTYFOUR - 이십 사

My eyes go wider than saucers at the question Taehyung asks me

My eyes go wider than saucers at the question Taehyung asks me. He's serious expression tells me that he's not joking at all. Suddenly the relaxed atmosphere we had going becomes stressful because when it comes to Soa, Taehyung doesn't play and I've experienced the feeling of his fist in my face. It wasn't very fun then, so I'm sure it'll be even more painful now.

"Have you lost interest in my sister?" Taehyung asks again. His feline eyes form little slits as he rakes them over my face. If there's one thing he's aways been good at, it's observing people.

"Tae, what kind of question is that?" I inquire, not knowing how he's come to that conclusion.

It hasn't even been a full day in Seoul yet. All I'd managed to do was visit Soa for a few minutes. It was basically just showing my face because Fei was visiting and there was no way I was sticking around to talk about marriage and children. I'd had enough of the subject.

The whole stay in Italy was filled with lessons on marriage from my father. Sound advice that has seemed to work for him and my mother all these years, but their relationship is different to mine. Mom's compliant and soft, making her easy to comply. Soa doesn't mind telling me my mistakes every now and then.

That's exactly what she did upon seeing me. Stared at me a little, observing my change in appearance with a look of interest on her face. One look at my grown hair and she couldn't help herself by saying: "No wonder you've been giving me playboy vibes."

That same stare is now etched onto Taehyung, only his gaze has no form of teasing.

"Then why can't you answer it?"

"Of course I haven't, Taehyung. I love-"

"Don't lie to me, Jeongguk." Taehyung growls, surprising me once again. "You've been acting strange and I'm not the only one who's noticed."

Jimin ambles into the lounge area, a glass of deep brown liquid in his hand. Only he knows what it is. Behind him is Hosoek, carrying bottles of wine like we're about to get drunk in the middle of the day.

"I'm sensing tension." Jimin mumbles, pausing to to shift his eyes back and forth between Taehyung and I. Hosoek stops, also staring at us in wonder. Because Jimin lives by himself there's no reason to lie.

"Taehyung thinks I'm losing interest in Soa-"

"I mean, he's not wrong," Hosoek starts, taking a seat on the oppose sofa, bottles of wine being placed on the glass table. His hands work at pouring them like the true expert he is. "I've been in Seoul for weeks now, but still my girlfriend and I speak everyday. You went to Italy and ignored your fiance for weeks." He points out, passing glasses around. "So I agree with Tae. You're being highly suspicious."

Jimin turns to him asking when he got a girlfriend. It's not surprising since Hosoek has always loved the idea of freedom. When Soa told me, my reaction was the exact same.