NINE - 구

"And how are you feeling about this wedding, Yejin?" Grandma inquires with a smile on her lips

"And how are you feeling about this wedding, Yejin?" Grandma inquires with a smile on her lips. She tries hard to ease the tension that is around the table, but nothing can quite fix it. Not even the hand she rests on the shoulder of my future sister in law.

Yejin had come by the office in hopes of spending time with Namjoon. Of course, my brother brushed her off with the excuse of a meeting he had to attend. He didn't really have to. Taehyung could handle things on his own, but Namjoon had insisted. Upon seeing the disappointment on her face, he called me in, thinking I could be his substitute. The girl didn't mind, but when Grandma had wanted to tag along, things became awkward.

The drive to Serendipity Cafe wasn't a long one. We could've walked if we were all comfortable with each other. Yejin hadn't said anything more than a polite introduction to Grandma. The only sign of her presence was the quiet laugh she'd let out every now and then.

"You don't have to be nervous to tell me the truth." Grandma sighed, finally picking up on the awkwardness her presence had created. "Every girl dreams of falling in love with someone. I'm sure this type of setup was not what you had hoped for."

Yejin smiles, polite. It's the same expression she's been showing the whole time we've been seated in the cafe.

"It wasn't anything I'd dreamt of, but Namjoon has been kind enough. I couldn't ask for a better partner." She answers.

It's an honest response, but Grandma doesn't seem phased. I can see by the way she lifts her eyebrows, she'd been expecting such a reply.

I shift the conversation to other things concerning the wedding. Which colours she'd prefer, potential venues. The number of bridesmaids she'd have. All the basic questions. Yejin answers every single question and engages in the conversation. I know she's been answering the same questions ever since the announcement of her wedding, but she remains polite.

Taehyung phones me while at the cafe. Something about having an urgent meeting in a few minutes. He requires my attendance and that of our grandma as we're main shareholders. He gives a good reason for the lunch to come to an end. Both Grandma and Yejin are happy.

-

"What's with the sudden meeting?" I ask Taehyung who meets me in the company parking lot. He wears a stern expression, one that worries me.

"They're not making me CEO." He replies. He looks unbothered by it, but there's a little glint in his eyes that tells me he's not as unaffected. It's gone as quickly as it appeared.

I pull a face at the news. Ever since Namjoon had been arranged, it was put into plan that Taehyung would be the CEO of Kim Group. Not because our parents wanted to keep the company within the family. That is probably one of the motivations, even though they'll say otherwise. Another reason could be that he's the most qualified between the four of us, but the main reason remains the arranged marriages Seokjin and Namjoon have been signed into.

Walking hurriedly alongside him, I refrain from asking questions, knowing that the employees at Kim Group don't know the meaning of minding their own business. It's really unfortunate that one of the most eligible companies in Seoul has the issue of gossiping employees. Sometimes they even go as far as to sell stories to the media.

Taehyung opens the door for me upon reaching the boardroom. I thank him, making my way to the seats we always choose in the front. Knowing that this is a special shareholders meeting, I don't expect to see many faces, but I am surprised to see Jeongguk and Jimin seated beside each other.

Passing them both looks of confusion, I take a seat beside Taehyung. Dressed in all black Jeongguk gives me a nod. It's his usual sign of acknowledgement in the presence of business people. Jimin passes me a tight-lipped smile.

Grandma makes her entrance a few minutes after me. With Namjoon right after. He looks as tense as Taehyung. The expressions everyone wears tell me whatever we're about to discuss will not be enjoyable.

"Thank you all for coming on such short notice." Father speaks, becoming the object of everyones attention. "As you all know, Kim Group is in need of a CEO. Unfortunately Namjoon will be going through with all wedding preparations. With much discussion the board and I had decided to hand the role over to Kim Taehyung, but we've changed our minds." He smiles, passing Taehyung an apologetic smile.

"Based on what?" Grandma asks, not caring for professionalism.

Father heaves another sigh. This one even deeper than the first. It's almost as if he has a burden to bear. Or maybe what he's about to say won't be pleasant.

"Over the past month, Kim Taehyung has not shown the amount of leadership needed to fulfill the role of a CEO. He's still immature in his decision-making." It comes out blunt and hurtful. Knowing Father that is probably the approach he assumed would be best.

"So we've decided to hand it over to Soa." He says, passing me a tight smile.

Shock spreads over everyone's faces in the room. It's not the good kind. With their faces staring at me, I see the wide eyes directed at me. Grandma looks genuinely surprised, as do Jeongguk and Jimin. Taehyung tries to play off his shock with a smile passed at me. I know he's not as happy as he's acting right now.

"But we can only do that if everyone here agrees on it." Father speaks, not allowing the moment of shock to continue.

I stare at father in shock, but also in anger. Living in the same home, I expected him to atleast ask me what I thought of this. He should've prepared me for this meeting. He didn't even care to ask whether I would like to takeover Kim Group. He didn't even care to think about how Taehyung would feel knowing I was a better fit in the eyes of the board.

A heavy silence spreads over the room. It's like no one knows what to say. I know that some of the them don't want to offend my father and the others don't want to offend me, but as always Namjoon rips the bandage off and gives his opinion.

"I don't think that's a wise decision from the board." It's an answer I was expecting. "Soa has not been trained to become a CEO. Taehyung has the training, education and experience. That makes him the better choice."

He's right. Between myself and Taehyung, he had been preparing for the role of CEO as soon as we knew Namjoon was to be wedded. He also happens to be the most qualified among the four of us.

"I agree with Namjoon." Jeongguk speaks. His eyes meet mine. Between the two of us there's a silent agreement because he's never been the type to hold me back from opportunities, but he's not the type to hide his opinion if he thinks I'm not meant to be in a certain position. "And I'm not speaking as a shareholder, but as her future husband. Making such a decision months before our marriage will only affect the company in a negative way."

We all know what he means by that. If Kim Group was to appoint me as CEO now, by the time I become Mrs Jeon, they'll have to change their CEO again. This will come across as unstable in the eyes of the media.

"I agree." I meet the eyes of my father. "Besides everything that's been mentioned, I have no interest in being CEO. I'm happy assisting Taehyung as a manager."

Father holds a blank expression, but I know he's disappointed in me. After all my years of begging him to see me as an equal, but when the opportunity arises, I steer away from it.

"I have another meeting to attend soon."He checks his watch. "But Soa, think about it. We can meet her again Friday."

-

Please vote and comment. Please tell me what you think.