FIFTEEN - 십오

I huff as I slip into the silk dress

I huff as I slip into the silk dress. My breath getting caught as Mother proceeds to zip it up, not giving me time to prepare myself for how tight it really is. Her satisfied hum fills the air as she observes me through the mirror.

"Is this really necessary?" I ask, pulling a face as she starts prodding at my chest, creating the illusion of more cleavage. "It doesn't look very appropriate for a formal dinner." I conclude, letting out a shriek when her hands start pinching at my cheeks.

"You'll wear a coat." She finishes, tucking stray hairs behind my ears. Her hands do a final run through the very sleek looking hair. Straightened to perfection and shining as if I'd poured a bottle of oil over it. "You need to look the part, Soa. Need I remind you that both your sisters are beautiful women?"

I roll my eyes at her question. Having heard it a hundred times today only. The only time she ever cares about what I wear is when Fei is in town.

Kim Fei, the beautiful, elegant and absolutely fashionable wife of Seokjin. Daughter of the biggest conglomerate CEO in China, Xiao Jul. Ever since marrying into our family, or rather Soekjin marrying into theirs, Mother has become obsessed with comparing my looks to that of Fei. From her classic red lip to her perfectly winged eyeliner down to her always short and sparkling dresses. She's a girly girl after Mother's own heart.

Of course the other sister would be Yejin. Also very beautiful with fair skin, bright eyes and a timid nature that could melt any heart.

"I don't understand why we always do this when Jin is around. He's only here for the wedding anyway." I reply, wincing as she harshly rubs at my skin with toner.

"Just stay quiet, Soa." Mother says, as she starts applying layers of foundation. Lightly patting at my face like I'm some doll. It reminds me of when I was younger and needed her to do my hair for school. Back then she was a lot more loving.

Seokjin had emailed everyone his flight details today. The first to read the email had been Namjoon, excitedly running to inform Taehyung and I of our brothers early arrival. Since then preparations had been made to have dinner at Prisca, one of the grandest restaurants in Seoul. Mother had ordered dresses and suits for all of us because we had to "look the part."

Namjoon picked them up at the airport and escorted them to their hotel as arranged by Mother. Since he's been married, Seokjin hasn't slept in our home. Taehyung says it's because Fei and Mother don't have a good relationship. I wonder if it'll be the same when Namjoon and I leave the nest.

I was ordered leave work with Taehyung. Mother arranged for my things to be fetched from the Jeon Mansion. The quickly arranged departure earned me a series of texts from Jeongguk.

From Jeongguk
14:22 : Mom said you had your staff fetch    
your bags. Why?
14:28 : Did something happen at home?
14:38 : Babe, did I do something?