THIRTYTWO - 삼십 이

"Gardenias or Roses?"

"Roses."

"Red or white?"

"Red."

"Enough," Grandma slams a hand on a nearby table. The array of glasses move with the action. One of them almost falling to the floor, but a staff member is quick enough to catch it. With a sorry stutter, he moves to his position at the back of the hall. Eyes trained to the front while I meet the eyes of my grandmother who frowns in return.

"Are we taking up your time, Kim Soa?"

The question comes out with a chill. Her icy glare directed at me for the second time today. The reality is that my time is being taken up. With all the planning we've been doing, I haven't had a chance to go to the office or check up on Jeongguk, but there's no way I can tell her that.

"No, Grandma-"

"Then can you participate a little more? You asked to be involved in the planning, so accept the responsibility of your wishes."

I nod, averting my gaze to Mother who passes me a sorry smile. It's almost as if the two of them have switched personalities in the past few days.

Grandmother continues to point out different designs. With a serious expression and a cold look. I understand why neither Fei or Yejin had wanted to take part in planning their weddings. Had I known she would be the way she is right now, I too would have opted to stay out of it.

We choose a menu and cakes that match with the day ahead. It's all too much and rich. Bursting flavours that emphasize the wealth and riches in our family. A point that has been constantly thrown around all day by the various people involved.

"This is something worthy of people from your class."

"Your wedding has to carry an aura of wealth."

"Only the best for the rich."

At these statements I could only grimace while the women beside me smiled with pride. A pride they could tone down seeing as the wealth now came from the copious amount of work my brothers and I have had to put into Kim Group.

Of course, I couldn't say that. It would be disrespectful and that's something I hadn't been called in a while.

-

"I came as fast as I could." I blurt out to a smiling Taehyung who always finds my state of displeasure amusing. Knowing our grandmother and her knack for planning events, I should've expected her to keep me for longer than she was supposed to.

The foyer has staff running around, a few passing tight smiles toward Taehyung and I. Their movements convey a sense of tension and a rush that is necessary considering we're in the middle of signing one of the biggest deals of our leadership at Kim Group. A deal that could seal the future of our company for years to come.