TWENTYFIVE - 이십 오

"Either one of you can start when you're ready

"Either one of you can start when you're ready." Nikita, our relationship counselor informs, with a smile on her face. It's very open and encouraging, especial because the task she just requested of us is not an easy one.

In all our sessions so far, all we've done is share qualities we admire about each other. The characteristics that make us who we are. The different and similar values that we both have, that attracts us to each other. All things we can easily speak about because no one minds complimenting the other, but when it comes to the negative side, it's a bit harder to let it out.

We're seated on the floor, facing each other with our palms interlocked. A sort of reassurance that even though we might not like what we tell each other, we won't let go. It's a very beautiful symbol for keeping our relationship together because there are qualities I don't like about Jeongguk and vice versa. We just choose to focus on the positive, most of the time.

"I dislike the way you're so easy to rile up. I know you love standing up for yourself and others, but I wish you'd realise that some battles don't need to be fought." He starts off, giving me a sorry look. "And I find it very disrespectful when you use that anger as a way to insult and hurt me, your family and anyone else who seems to be against you. It's like you don't think when you're angry. You become irrational and I wish you'd just try and think a bit more or channel that anger into something positive. I hate that, but I still love you."

He finishes with the ending requested by Nikita. Something about stating our dislikes in a healthy way. This way it'll be easier to manage and talk out to find the root of our negative qualities.

I'm aware that I can be riled up easily and ever since our argument, I've been working on keeping my thoughts and feelings to myself. Occasionally I'd vent to Taehyung, but for the most part, I'm well aware that it's not a quality that's admirable. Though I don't yell or fight, my words still hurt.

"I hate how closed off you are. Choosing to remain poised and calm when I just wish you'd yell and let your anger out." I start, watching as Jeongguk nods because it's not the first time I've told him about it. "I know it's because you're introverted and always feel the need to keep the peace, but sometimes you communicate in such an ambiguous way that creates problems for our relationship. I want to know what's on your mind, Jeongguk. It's the only way we can make this relationship work. I hate your lack of communication, but I love how you always remain rational in every situation."

It's honest and from my heart.

Nikita explains how both our issues are polar opposite extremes. Where I express myself too much, Jeongguk expresses himself too little. It's a perfect combination, but when used in the relationship, it can cause for a lot of confusion and tension such as the break situation.

I agree with her, still focused solely on Jeongguk.

"Now, I want you both to use those same qualities and state how your partner has used that quality in a positive way in your relationship." She smiles, motioning for Jeongguk to start.