EIGHT - 팔

"Grandma's here

"Grandma's here." Taehyung grumbles, walking past my figure at the kitchen sink. The glass of water in my hands goes back down the drain. He throws me a dishcloth which I accept, drying my hands and placing it back on the counter in record speed.

Taehyung yawns. It's only then that I notice his eye bags and pale skin. His hair stands up in different directions. All signs that he'd just woken up from a nap. These days he's been so busy at the office, the idea of sleep had been far from his thoughts. I wanted to send him back, but the sound of my grandmother's loud voice breaks me out of my thoughts. She always makes an entrance.

"No one told me she was coming tonight." I whisper, my eyes catching the sight of my grandma in the dining room. Deep purple dress standing out in the white room.

"Namjoon sent you an email." Taehyung replies, before walking into the open arms of my grandma.

I watch as she rests her perfectly manicured on his face. Pulling at his cheeks with a ton of affection. "My big baby. I can smell the sleep on you from a mile away." She laughs, ruffling at his hair.

Taehyung smiles and takes a seat. His hand quickly wipes the area our grandma had kissed. The now damaged kiss leaves behind a red hue. It looks like he's blushing.

"Soa, my beautiful." Grandma gushes, pulling me into her arms. The smell of her perfume almost causes me to pull away. Her firm hold keeps me in place.

She pulls away with more talk about how beautiful I've become. Her hands reaching for my hair that I've let loose, not knowing I'd have to keep it neat for her appearance. She says nothing about it.

"Mom, how was the trip?" Father asks once we're all seated.

Namjoon had appeared just before dinner was served. Grandma had gushed about his hair, mentioned his wedding and other things he only mumbled a reply to. He's been tense ever since the meeting the other day.

"Lovely, as always. It's a pity your father couldn't join me. I really wanted to make a visit at the Jeon Estate." She answers, sending me a wink right after.

Dinner continues with our grandma going on and on about how beautiful Namjoon's wedding has to be. All sorts of colours and wedding types leave her mouth. Our mother entertains her by joining the conversation every now and then. The rest of us only react when necessary.

Namjoon excused himself from the dinner table when he's done eating. Taehyung follows soon after leaving me with the Kims.

My first instinct is to follow after him. It's better than sitting through the tension that is my mother and Grandma. It's no secret that the two have never gotten along well.

"I don't know if you're just oblivious or ignorant, but that boy is not excited for this little wedding of yours." Grandma starts up, taking a sip from the red wine she'd requested Mrs Lee to serve her.

Father tries to explain that Namjoon had agreed to go through with it. Up until this point he hasn't shown any dissatisfaction with anything. The contract he signed being proof thereof.

"Do you think he has it in him to refuse the two of you? He phoned me crying two evenings ago." She retorts. Both my parents faces fall at the news. "I don't know why you insist on doing this after you know what Seokjin has been going through in China." Grandma continues.

"Mother, Namjoon is well aware of the responsibility he has toward this family-"

"Seohyun," Grandma interrupts her, "I let you marry my son because he loved you. You came into this family having nothing. Not even a decent education. Don't you think it's quite hypocritical of you to expect your son to be married off for business?"

It's a loaded question and one that brings silence to the table. I don't know why they feel comfortable talking like this in front of me, but I'm intrigued. Knowing I'm not the only one who's unhappy with Namjoon's engagement makes me happy. I don't show it on my face.

Her reaction is not a surprise. Grandma bad always been vocal on her unhappiness with the marriages in the business world. With Grandpa no longer head of the company, she needed no reason to be quiet about it.

"Mother, we know how you feel toward this situation, but how we raise our children should not be your concern."

I watch as Grandma grabs her glass of wine with a firm hand. Something tells me that if we had been in a different economic class, Mother would've received a slap.

"Well you had better make it a beautiful wedding. My grandson deserves only the best. He's worked hard enough for it."

I agree with her. Namjoon had entered our family business in his teenage years already. Following Seokjin around like some intern. He'd learned quickly and today most of the investors we'd gotten had been because of his smooth way with words, but also his brains. He's always been smart.

Graduating high school top of his class had left huge pressure for Taehyung and I to follow in. It was exhausting keeping up, but we managed.

They start another conversation. The tension is still heavy, but we all ignore it. I excuse myself from the table when they start talking about Jeongguk and I.

-

As expected Namjoon is in the home gym. He'd left dinner in such an abrupt manner, I thought he had work to do. The serious expression on his face shows me he's trying to blow off steam. A sight I'd been a witness of many times. Jeongguk shares the same habit.

"Lifting weights won't take away your stress, Joon." I say, taking a seat on the bench beside him.

Namjoon releases a sigh and throws the weight to the ground. The sound is not pleasant, causing me to wince. He passes a hand over his face. If Mother was here, she'd warn him about possible pimples forming.

"If you're expecting me to say you were right then I suggest you leave." He replies, now facing me with his practiced bored expression.

"I'm not here for that." I sigh. "I'm here to apologise for the other day. I now know that you're not happy with what's going on and I only made it worse. I'm sorry, Joon." I let out.

It's a sincere apology. Much different from the one the other night. Namjoon passes me a small smile. Nothing changes after this. He's still got a responsibility to fulfill, but atleast we're okay.

"Thank you, sis. I'm sorry too."

"Let's hug it out?" I ask, knowing he's not a fan of affection.

Namjoon rolls his eyes, but doesn't push away when I let my arms wrap around his figure. He reeks of sweat.

"I love you, Joon."