THIRTYTHREE - 삼십 삼

Jeongguk takes in the scene

Jeongguk takes in the scene. Familiar, but different in it's own way. Unlike previous weddings within the Kim family, this one has a simplicity to it. A realness that he can't quite place.

Of course there are traces of wealth all over the place. Draped around the pillars are sparkly pieces of decor he worries are real diamonds. There's the foreign staff he sees standing around the area all in position for something. There's the live orchestra seated in the far end of the garden playing classical hits by Beethoven and Mozart.

Next to him, the groomsmen are dressed in embroidered suits that look regal. The design is quite similar to his own, save for the colour being different. Unlike theirs, his is black.

Fei dwindles in alongside his parents. A practiced smile of courteousy gracing her features. He wants to laugh at the way she pulls away from his mother. Much too stiff for the affection she rubs off. The picture makes him smile.

They take a seat after that, both passing him smiles which he returns with a nod. They'll be fine one day. Today, he just needs to focus on what matters.

"She's coming now, get ready." Taehyung smiles, patting his shoulder with a fond expression. Unlike the sulk he was carrying the previous evening, the man glows today. For a second Jeongguk wants to question how he knows that.

They had been standing for an hour now. Guests had trinkled in, one by one with no sign of Soa. The nerves come up at the thought that she's here and he'll see her.

Out of all the things he imagined, nothing could quite beat the reality of the moment. Dressed in an off the shoulder white gown, Soa walks down the aisle with her father. Her fingers are wrapped around a white bouquet of flowers, a veil draped over her face as a statement of the purity they've both kept sacred for this day.

He smiles at her figure, eyes becoming moist because this has been their dream. Days of planning, disagreeing and upsetting each other had easily turnt into a dream come true. The dream they've been refining for years.

"Hi," She whispers when she meets him, hands grasping onto his with a strength he wants to question. "I missed you."

He giggles at the confession, thinking back on how adamant she had been to spend their last night separate. Something about making their reunion more beautiful. He didn't get it then, but in the moment he does. So he replies, "I missed you too."

The ceremony starts and though the scene may be familiar, it's different because it's real. Every vow, every touch and kiss is real. And when he promises to love her even when they're old and grey, he means it because she's his dream and the simplicity comes with that.

-

The events of the day are over and the newly wedded couple sit on a log overlooking the sunset from the estate garden. Soa sighs, leaning into her husband, the embers of sleep wanting to overcome her body. Jeongguk smiles, pressing a kiss to her head.

Still fully dressed and both tired, though neither of them want to admit it. Soa mumbles something about the wedding. Both of them recalling how the cake had been removed and served to guests as if it was dessert. She recalls the orchestra lulling most if not all of the guests to sleep. Taehyung scowled at the scene.

Jeongguk chips in remembering how her grandmother had been hell bent on having them stay a little while longer. Her face still looking quite sour as she watched them dissappear through the house.

"It was a beautiful wedding though." She chuckles.

He hums, "Because of you."

She scolds him for being cheesy. Teases that they're already married. "You've won me over, now stop." She smiles.

Jeongguk kisses her again, sure that though tough days may be ahead, he'd still choose to spend them with her.

"I love you, Mrs Jeon."

"I love you more, Mr Jeon."

-

Authors Note:

Thank you all for reading. ❤️