Chapter 26: White Buff

[Author's Note: Right on time. Today's February 14, 2021. Enjoy!]

Turret Base, The Barren Lands

Khaleed, Tigreal, and Esmeralda opted to go the Turret Base in the Barren Lands for maximum protection. The fight significantly drained their mana and healthpoints. They needed to recharge.

Every place in the Land of Dawn has its Turret Base. However, it demands one whole aquamarine to fuel and activate its mighty defensive powers. Willingly, Esmeralda offered Selena's aquamarine in exchange for this optimal protection.

But that's not all, folks. There are also these so-called Turret Minions, who guard those who dwell in the Turret Base, free of charge. They are led by the Turret Manager, a Super Minion who is stationed in the turret's topmost quarter. This manager is mindfully selected among them, known as the most expert when it comes to matters of defense. He also directs the turret to find and attack enemies on sight. As part of the package, these small soldiers vowed to protect with utmost loyalty those who would offer aquamarines to their base turret. They are trained and programmed that way.

"I never expected Khufra would betray his pals," Khaleed said.

"What do you expect from men, Sweetheart? They always betray each other. That's why we have wars. They're the frailties of men. If only the world is led by women, perhaps world peace is not just a dream," Esmeralda made a point.

"There you go again, Sweetie. But you're right. That's why I chose you to lead my life," Khaleed replied, winking his right eye.

"Ahem," Tigreal cut the conversation. He wanted to puke. Again, he  only got himself. And no women, not even men, had chanced to lead his poor miserable life.

"That tank is strong. He's damn strong. His first skill allows him to escape in and out with ease. Then there goes his second skill, a ball that would prevent anyone from blinking or casting flickers. And this Ball moved at great speeds. Plus, his Ultimate! The world is so unfair!" Tigreal complained. "If only I had such ball too."

"Then that would make you the most absurd hero ever," Esmeralda teased him. "Tigreal, the tank with three balls. Do you really want that?"

"Alert! Alert! Enemy on sight!" the Turret Manager exclaimed. Its vigilant signal echoed in the entire base.

The minions brandished their weapons and began to assemble. One by one they got out of the base.

"This is not the right timing! I've got no mana!" worried Tigreal.

"And health points either. Any plans?" Khaleed.

"Stick with this Turret. That's the only plan we've got. Unless you have some Recalls left," Esmeralda suggested.

"I've got none. I'm an old hero, Esmeralda," Tigreal said. "I used to become a member of the Lightborn Squad before. And I've used my Recall once when we fought side by side with Lux Septum to depose Roger out of the throne."

"Sweetheart, I know you can still Recall. Don't worry about us. We're men. We're used to these wars we often started," Khaleed advised, reiterating the words she said earlier.

"What would life be without you, Khaleed? It's like living a body without a heart. I'd prefer to be a living soul than to be a dying thing," Esmeralda argued. Her voice suggested she's not leaving him no matter what. "It's the same death, Sweetheart. If we die tonight, at least we die together."

Khaleed hugged her. Tigreal wanted to hug her too, but his arms find more comfort in wrapping his own shoulders. It felt better, hugging his own self.