Chapter 10: The Clock

We walked along the busy street to find a bigger inn. In this place, time was of no importance. Night or day, it was the same. Darkness endured in the sky. Inflicted by Helcurt's curse in the entire Land of Dawn, the Barren Lands was never an exception.

"When can we ever see the light again?" Ellie sighed, with her robot following right after her.

"It's been a long time, Ellie. But do not lose hope. You see this place, right? The Barren Lands, before Helcurt's curse took effect, had been barren already for time unknown. And when darkness took over, there was no difference. Dark or not, barren or not, all the villagers still survive," Benedetta argued.

"Unless Helcurt kills us all," Ellie sighed again.

"That will not happen," Benedetta urged.

"And why is that?" Ellie, curious.

"Because I say so," Benedetta, with a laugh to make her point humorous.

"Okay, I think this is good for all of us," I interrupted their conversation, having found what we've been looking for.

"You sure about this, Super Minion?" inquired Benedetta. "It looks like the landlord is afraid of cats."

"We'll see," I said, as I started knocking the door.

Suddenly, a tiny voice shouted from the inside. "Do you have any cat with you?"

"Ahm. No," I replied.

"Good! Come in!" the voice instructed.

As we opened the door, the sparkling colors and distinctive design immediately caught our eyes. The blue-themed inn was a combination of night sky, blended with stars, moon and planets, floating in ceilings and engraved in walls.

So this is heaven. I thought.

"Hoot hoot! Welcome to my inn! Horology is my craft! Diggie is my name!" the landlord said. But these girls didn't seem to notice him.

"Whoa! This is so beautiful!" Ellie exclaimed. "This is the perfect inn!"

The landlord cleared his throat to get their attention. "Excuse me, ladies and hooded gentleman over there! But I think we need to settle the terms first!"

"Oh! Hi there, Diggie!" Benedetta went to greet him. "We are definitely staying here! That hooded gentleman over there? He's my boss. And he got a lot of twilight coins. Even his eyes are made of gold," whispered Benedetta to him.

The landlord Diggie seemed to be amazed.

"I heard you, Benedetta," I said.

Oh come on girls, we still have to check if we can afford this inn. Sounds expensive to me. I said in my mind.

"How much for a month?" I asked Diggie.

"A month would be long, mage. Your clock says you are leaving by tomorrow," Diggie replied.