Chapter 3: The New Contract

I was now standing in front of the Minoan Mountains. I knew this is a long journey, but I must not lost hope. And just as expected, a maze appeared before me. The entrance of this mountain was totally blocked by the maze, and I need to figure it out should I wish to enter.

My Key Insight. I knew this skill will help me figure out the opening of this maze. It's my ability to see and replay visions of episodes and circumstances, the past and even past beyond, including what transpired from the beginning of time.

My eyes now started to glow, releasing light of rays depicting pictures and scenes connected to this maze. I saw a man, and an orb inside. The orb was located at the center of the maze, and the man holds the key to the orb's portal. I tried to see what happened before that when some shadow appeared to be walking to my direction. The shadow later on become an ugly, scaly-skinned man, with tremendously huge arms.

 The shadow later on become an ugly, scaly-skinned man, with tremendously huge arms

"Abandon all hope! All 'Ye who enter!", said the man.

"Ahm hello... I.. I think I was lost!" I instinctively replied.

"Are you here for the orb? Nobody walks out alive trying to steal the orb from this maze! I am Aldous, the last Contract Keeper, and no one dares to steal the orb without coming through me!"

"Haha. The mighty Aldous! Well, I thought I just stole your keys!"

Then he looked at his waist. He was shocked the key to his orb was gone.

"What if I told you, that by using this key, I also now have your orb?" I whimsically told him.

"No, it can't be happening. Only I knew the location of the orb. Don't fool me, you little Leonin. And it was no ordinary orb, it was a living, Twilight Orb. One cannot just bring and contain it. It will disapprove."

Oh, damn this man. He still won't believe it.

"Hey, for the special clarity of your mind, I am no ordinary Leonin too. I am Harith, the Time Keeper, master of the Key Insight skill, and as fast as a thief unlocking hidden codes and passwords. If you still don't get it, I am the most powerful, most clever and most intelligent Leonin you'll ever see. And take a look at this." I showed him the orb, the living Twilight Orb rather, floating and shining between my palms.

"It can't be happening!"

"Well, it is!"

Then he hurriedly went inside the maze, maybe to check if it was true, and later came back with a heavily, frustrated face.

"Prepare to die! You asked for this. I am bound to protect my Contract, no matter what the cost!"

"Blah blah blah. Oh, come on! Take a look at it, Aldous! If you truly and faithfully follow your contract, given to you by the Minoans in protecting this orb, you must not kill me!"

"And why is that?"

"Because I now have the orb! If you kill me, the orb will remain hidden in my Time Lock and will never resurface again. But that does not mean you are now abandoning your contract. The contract is still in effect. But with one subject added to your contract!"

"And what is it?"

"Me! You must protect me! Because I, now, have your orb. I tell you, once my mission is done, I will give you back this orb..."

"Huh! You clever kitten

"Huh! You clever kitten. You gave me no other choice, I supposed. Now swear an oath, swear me in the name of Minoan Gods and Ancestors that you will return the Living Orb once your mission is done."

"I swear, in the name of Minoan God and Ancestors, that I will deliver the orb back to Aldous, the Contract Keeper, once he helped me accomplish my mission."

"Help you? Is this what you mean by protecting you?"

"Yes! Come on, you're supposed to get it fast! Or I'll be dead along the way if you won't be at my side protecting me," I rolled my eyes.

"And what is this mission?"

"Mission one. To reach--"

"Hold on! So you have many missions? I thought it was just one? Hahaha!" He laughed a terrible laugh. "A clever Leonin, indeed. So what are these missions?"

"Okay. So first, reaching Vale."

"Vale, the Wind God?"

"Wait, what? Wind God? I know him as a prince in the Wind Valley, did you just call him a God?"

"How ironic to have a Key Insight but not knowing the news around! Haha," another terrible laugh. "Vale remains undefeated all throughout. He has fully unlocked the Mastery Code of his skills. The windtalker is now The Wind! It is rumored that he can dissolve with the wind whenever he wants to, imagine what it feels to be with the wind!" he exclaimed. "And have you ever wondered why Helcurt dared not step to the Wind Valley? Because he's afraid of Vale, I supposed!"

The lines coming from Aldous struck me. I still couldn't believe it.

"And why do you want to go to Vale?" he asked.

"Because Valir is dead, and he needs to know."

"Oh," Aldous sighed. With a blank expression in his face.

"Nevertheless, Mission Two. Take back the Land of Dawn."

"Are you crazy?!" Aldous, awefully shocked.

"Yes. I am. But with your help, and the Wind God, and allies we can find out there, there's a possibility we stood a chance."

Aldous looked up the sky, pondered for a moment, and said, "The Living Orb, when you took it... It didn't disapprove. For hundreds of years I guarded the Orb, and it's supposed to execute the hands of those who wilfully took it. Maybe it's time. Well then, your mission, is that all?"

"Yes," I replied.

"Then come with me, we better hurry. We'll go to Vale, now."

"It seems like you've figured out a better way to get there, haven't you?"

"My ultimate, Contract Chase Fate, allows me to know the location of every creature in the land, minions or heroes alike."

"Whoa! Amazing!"

"And not just that, teleport to their location as well."

"What the --- so you mean we can go to Vale in an instant?!"

He gestured at me to come closer and offered his big right hand.

"Exactly, so hold my hand. Hold tightly and never let go, because the spiral travel might make you dizzy! We will fly and head to Vale... Now!"