Chapter 27: Play By The Rules

Turret Base, Present Time

Brody wanted to get inside the Turret Base to claim his reward -- the fallen aquamarines of Tigreal, Khaleed and Esmeralda. However, the Turret Manager, in addition to boosting the turret's powerful defense, had ordered the release of the Turret Super Minions.

"These minions are serious. It seems we can't get in," Khufra said.

"Let them. The mission's accomplished anyway. No need to risk our lives."

"Okay. Fine with me."

 Considering Khufra's low healthpoints, Brody has no other choice but to withdraw. He is a marksman of principle. He cannot sacrifice his life risking the unknown. He may have the skill and the high damage, but he does not have the health points to tank the turret's output, now heavily fortified by its Super Minions. They both left the scene.

~***~

Turret Base, An Hour Earlier

"This is Steven, the Turret Manager. May I seek audience with the lovely Esmeralda?" the announcement echoed in the base.

Esmeralda obliged. She went upstairs and headed to the Turret Manager's quarters.

"May I know why you called me?"

"I have something to give you, Esmeralda. But before that, there is something I need to confirm."

"What is it, Steven?"

"Are the rumors true that my Master finished them off?"

"Who? What rumors?"

"Vale. My Master Vale. Look, I'm a wind minion. I am under his commands before. I have wings."

"Oh!" Esmeralda was astonished. It was her first time seeing a minion with wings. "Well... Aside from almost killing us, yes. Your Master did a terrible but perfect job."

"So the rumors are true!" Steven's loud laughter resounded in the quarter.

"But how?"

"How? What do you mean?"

"How did you end up here, Steven? If you're a wind minion, you should have worked in the Wind Valleys, not in the Barren Lands."

"When Helcurt attacked the Wind Palace, all wind minions suddenly dispersed and left the place."

"That's odd. You're supposed to fight until the end."

"Yes, it's odd. But we got no choice. It was Master Vale's order. He said we should immediately leave the place if Helcurt attack us. To find shelter for Turret Bases around. I remember him saying, 'I need you alive, not dead.'"

"I have never heard of such strategy before. But from the looks of it, it was effective. So how did you become the Turret Manager?"

"I rose from the ranks, Esmeralda. Thanks to Master Vale's teachings."

"That being said, I'm eager to know him more," Esmeralda giggled.

"Alright. Enough with the pep talk. I need you to come with me."

Steven opened a secured section of his quarter. Imprinted above the door are the words "Vault Room." Esmeralda followed suit.

The Vault Room, far from the metallic, concrete and modern facilities of the Turret Base, was made with the ambiance of maroon bricks lit by shy, cylindrical, lampshades attached on its walls, giving a gold and brown color to its entirety. All valuable items and files are kept inside, including some item fragments, the turret's blueprint, its architectural and mechanical design, and even its manual.