Chapter 13: A Bird for a Bird

[Benedetta's PoV]

The three carriages remained in their position. And I am still standing beside the last carriage. However, doing this for long will do no good. Pharsa knows where my companions are hiding. I should return by now and warn them immediately!

"Hey, young lady. What's your name?"

What was that? I said to myself. Someone's talking to me... But who? I couldn't find any.

"I admire your sword. Still swords, run deep."

That voice again. No. He's not talking to me. He's whispering. And  he's communicating through my mind!

"Who-- Who are you?" I replied in my thoughts.

"I don't know myself either. But I'm right here. Beside you."

The carriage. It must be coming from the carriage in front of me. Then I saw a thin and fine aura coming from the small window of the carriage. It carefully reached for my sword. The aura was as narrow as thread, as transparent as air. Then it ignited my sword shortly. I felt some sensation. It was slight but sharp. I had never felt it before.

"What-- What are you doing?"

"Don't be afraid. I know I can trust you. At this point, it is only you that can save my humble life."

"What do you mean?"

"Strike the chains that bond this carriage and I shall be free. One fatal blow is more than enough. One's sword reflects one's spot. Fortune favors the bold."

"And why would I do that?"

"Because I trust you. And you have to trust me on this. This will be a move that will change the world." As the captive uttered those words, the sword's aura glowed even stronger. "We're on the same edge of our swords. We share the same instincts. And deep inside that heart, I see the blood of a great warrior. I can teach you everything about swordsmanship. My blade strikes like a splitting wind, and so does yours."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I was about to get emotional. Nobody trusted me like this. And to hear these words from a stranger? It somehow... It somehow crushed me. To Lesley, I am just a minion. Just a minion. To Ellie? No, our friendship cannot last together. She's a human after all. Humans despise minions! To Master Vale? I am not sure about it either. He had saved me once but I don't think he can go farther than that. Admit it, Benedetta. You are just a random minion. An ordinary slave. A spy that can easily be replaced when you fail your mission. And why would they care? I am just one of those small dirt that can be dumped anytime. Another useless soul to be sacrificed in war.

"I will let you out. But you have to promise me, and swear to me, that you will comply with my three conditions."

"Very well. I am more than interested."

"Okay. First, make me strong. Second, after I let you out, you have to help my companions. Pharsa already found out where they are and I don't think they would stand a chance!"

"And the third?"

The third? This is-- Now, I get it! This is what Master Diggie means!

["And Benedetta, I see a strong character in you. Can you assure me you won't give up on your dreams? Here, take this," Diggie said as he handed a heavy sword to me.
"What is this, Master Diggie?" I asked.
"My new invention." Then he whispered to me and said, "And this invention will break you from the chains of who you are. And behold, you are told, that when that specter of time comes, you should go for it!" Then Diggie spoke in a loud voice, "And please don't let everyone see it. It's our secret," he grinned before walking out of the room and heading downstairs.]