Chapter 30: The Chairman

"Two things, ladies and gentlemen. First, we need a new mage to replace Valir. Second, we all know that Valir was killed by Helcurt. What's next?"

"The pillars say we must not meddle with the government. But the same pillars also say we must follow the by-laws above all else. And the by-laws provide that we must retaliate if a member is killed," the fourth member summarized the issues.

"If that's the case, let's settle with the first issue first. Who do you think should be the next mage of Lux Septum?" the Chairman asked the squad.

"Kagura, Lylia, Yve, Lunox, Valentina.. There are a lot of Class-S candidates out there," the second member, in an impatient tone.

"Yes, but we need to pick one. Just one," the Chairman emphasized.

"Okay. I nominate Kagura. Let's get this done," the second member said promptly.

"If that is so, then let's vote using our chips to make it official," the Chairman said.

"There's no need. I object," the fifth member said.

Because the rules say they need to vote unanimously, just one dissent from any member of the squad would mean an automatic "no" for that candidate. Here, because the fifth member objected, there's no need for chip voting, and Kagura can no longer be selected.

"On what grounds?" the second member asked her.

"I just wanted to object, that's it," the fifth member smirked.

But the second member was pissed. "I am warning you, Silvanna. The next time you play your dumb joke on me, I'll cut your head off," the serious and impatient second member, Lancelot, drawing his sword against her.

 The next time you play your dumb joke on me, I'll cut your head off," the serious and impatient second member, Lancelot, drawing his sword against her

"No one cares about your damn empty threats, Lancelot." Silvanna, the fifth member, responded.

" Silvanna, the fifth member, responded

"Enough. We are not here to fight. We are here to discuss," Yu Zhong, the sixth member, reminded his co-members.

"If not Kagura, then who?" Lancelot withdrew his sword.

"How about this famous Wind Mage? Rumors have it that he defeated Leomord's forces," Wanwan, the third member suggested.

"I believe they're not rumors anymore, Wanwan. They're true. They're facts," Gloo, the fourth member.