Chapter 17: The Art of Winning

[Author would like to acknowledge @Steven631897 as winner of last chapter's flfc :) ]

Despite the growing tension from afar, no single drop of fretfulness can be seen from Ling. However, the opposite goes for the walking minion beside him - Benedetta.

"Are you sure about this, Ling?"

"I guess I'm not the one who said 'I'm not coming back.'" Ling reminded her.

'" Ling reminded her

"Yeah.. But I said that when you assured me they can win the fight."

Ling did not respond. He just continued walking away from the battle scene. Benedetta followed suit.

"But aren't we going to help them, at least?"

"I already did my job. I killed Pharsa. Doesn't that qualify in your definition of help?" Ling then showed her Pharsa's black aquamarine. "Here, take it. You're my Master now. Everything that belongs to me belongs to you."

Amazed of what she saw, Benedetta did not hesitate taking the aquamarine. To personally see a stone of such value is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Heroes fight for it. Squads aim for it. And now she has it. Definitely, she knew aquamarines are more valuable than minions like her. However --

"Aarrgghh!" Benedetta screamed. The aquamarine seemed to burn her tiny hands.

"Apologies," Ling said. "I forgot. You're not allowed to touch it. I'm sorry."

"Sorry? You rascal! You did that on purpose!" Benedetta yelled at him

So the stories are true. There's no way minions can hold nor own them. Benedetta said to herself.

"Just.. Just keep it for yourself then," Benedetta frowned.

"Okay."

Benedetta looked back. She started to think twice again. Funny memories of Ellie, Vale and Lesley shortly flashed to her as breaths of the warm desert winds brushed her face.

"Look. Well-- Okay. I said that. It was my decision. And I am sure about this decision to leave them, but frankly, Ling, I am not sure if they can handle the situation. The last time I checked, they were outnumbered."