Chapter 2

The rest of the day went fast, I spent a lot of time avoiding Bill and his questioning looks. Luckily I had a lot of work to get done so I didn’t spend much time staring at the clock wishing it was 5 o’clock, or checking my phone wishing for a text from Trav telling me his plane was early. I had gotten a text telling me he was boarding, but he hates texting so when he’s out of town we don’t talk much. This time it was New York, and his time away was always filled with meetings.

    I’m so proud of him, his hard work has earned him a spot on the board of directors in the company he works for, Moonlight Industries. They own many smaller companies and Trav's job is to evaluate profits and eliminate loss through policy changes or other means. He is very good at his job which is why he climbed the ranks so fast. The money is amazing, I wouldn’t have to work if I didn’t want to, but I’d be bored being what I call a frappé wife. Frappé wive’s are the women who spend their days working out and getting pampered, then meeting up with  other frappé wives for their daily cup of coffee. I don’t find anything wrong with that, it’s just not for me.

    The business trips have become more frequent lately, and at least once a month he’s gone for a week. I always miss him terribly and I’m so excited to have him home today. The flight from New York back home to Denver is a little over five hours long, so I made a reservation at his favorite restaurant. I don’t want to deal with cooking the first night he’s back home. 

    Finally it’s five, only one hour until I get to kiss him again. I jump out of my chair, grab my coat and purse, and check my phone one last time before I head to my car. I have a notification that I have a new email from Trav. Excited I quickly open it, but my excitement fades when I read it.

Viv, 

    Brad is going to pick me up at the airport, we have a few things we need to take care of before another meeting tomorrow. I don’t know how late I will be, don’t wait up.

Trav

    My heart sinks into my stomach at the thought of waiting longer to see Trav. Brad is basically his assistant here and rarely travels with him. I call the restaurant and cancel the reservation and get fast food instead. I need some comfort food, don’t judge. I also stop at the store and get some ice cream. I like to dip my fries in ice cream, and if I’m going to eat unhealthy I might as well go all out. Go big or go home. 

    I went big, then I went home to do it. I devoured my cheeseburger first, followed by my fries and vanilla ice cream. I cleaned up after myself, then did a little cleaning around the house. It didn’t take up as much time as I had hoped, Trav and I are both neat people so we don’t make much mess.

    I spend the rest of the evening binge watching netflix, and fell asleep on the couch. I woke up at midnight and searched the house for any signs of Trav. Nothing. My phone is dark and silent but I checked it anyway just in case. Nothing. I decide to call him, but it goes straight to voicemail. I leave him a message and hope he gets it soon. 

    Now I’m wide awake, slightly worried but also a little mad. What could he possibly be working on at midnight? Didn’t he miss me as much as I missed him? I decide to go upstairs and get ready for bed. After changing and brushing my teeth I try calling him again. Still straight to voicemail. I set my alarm and get in bed but I’m too upset to sleep. I couldn't decide if I was more angry or worried. Laying in bed, I let my mind run wild with all kinds of different scenarios before I finally fall asleep a few hours before my alarm went off.

    When I wake up there’s still no sign of Trav, and I’m just pissed off. I pick up my phone to call him and see that I got a text from him 30 minutes ago. 

    Stayed at Brad’s. See you tonight.

At this point, if I was a cartoon character, there would be steam coming out of my ears. This is so unlike him, he’s never done anything like this before, so I don’t know what to think. I stare at my phone for a few minutes before my bladder decides to let me know it is full. I make an impulsive decision and decide to take the test today. I’d be lying if I said my anger didn’t influence my decision. 

    Grabbing my purse, I dig through it and find the pink box. I ripped open the package and barely made it to the bathroom. Waiting the three minutes after I was done felt like three hours. I already knew what it was going to say, so it was no surprise when the little digital window popped up saying “PREGNANT.” I slumped to the floor and start crying, I don’t know how to be a mother and putting me in charge of a tiny human doesn’t seem like a very good idea. I can't even keep house plants alive.

    After what felt like forever, I checked my watch and realized if I didn’t leave for work now I was going to be late. I pulled on a nice black sweater and some black slacks, wanting my clothes to fit my mood. I quickly put some make-up on to try to hide the fact that I had been crying and ran out the door. I hope Trav’s reaction will be better than mine.