Chapter 6

I enjoyed sleeping in the next several days, but I didn’t not enjoy being alone or going through my things while I was unpacking. I saved the boxes because I would be using them again, hopefully soon. I also didn’t unpack everything, just the things I would need over the next few weeks. I was able to talk to all the wedding guests except Amee to let them know the wedding was cancelled. I hadn’t heard from her in weeks and was starting to get worried. 

     When Monday came around I was eager to get back to work. I was nervous about my appointment but excited too. I checked my purse to make sure I had my insurance card and ID ready as I walked to my appointment. In the waiting room they had me fill out all kinds of pages that new patients are required to fill out. It took so long to fill them out that I wasn’t quite done when they called me back. 

     I scribbled answers to the last few questions and handed the nurse my clipboard. She smiled at me and led me back to take my vitals. 

     “Step on the scale please. Alright, 140. Do you know how tall you are?” she asked.

“Five seven,” I answered. 

     She wrote that down, then took my blood pressure and temperature, writing those down too. She led me to an exam room and gave me a gown. “Take off all your clothes, you can leave your socks on if you want but everything else needs to come off. Then have a seat on the tablet and Dr. Thomas will be in shortly.” she instructed setting a gown on the exam table.

     I did what I was told, leaving my socks on because it was cold in the room. I always hated the waiting while nearly naked part. As I sat there waiting, my anxiety rose. When Dr. Thomas opened the door, I nearly jumped out of my skin.

     “Hi, I’m Dr. Thomas,” She said shaking my hand. “You must be Vivienne.”

“Yes. I go by Viv though.” I answered.

“Okay Viv. So I see in your chart that you’re here because of a suspected pregnancy. You took a test at home and it was positive…” she said reading the notes in my chart. “Oh, and based on the dates, it looks like your due date is July fourth! A little independence baby.”

     I hadn’t done the calculations, but a holiday due date seemed kind of cool. Dr Thomas went over the questions that I had answered on the forms I filled out. Once she was satisfied she had all the necessary information, she pulled over the ultrasound machine. 

     “We’ll take a quick peek and measurements to make sure that everything looks like it’s supposed to.” She said. She turned the monitor so I could see, but I had no idea what I was looking at. It was a big gray area with a roundish black area and a gray dot in the black. Dr Thomas did her thing, and said the measurements agreed with my due date. 

     She printed me up a few ultrasound pictures for me to take with me. She tried to explain them, but it was like she was speaking another language. I guess I’ll have to do some research before my next appointment. 

     After the exam she told me it was fine for me to fly, gave me a bunch of pregnancy education handouts, a welcome gift basket, and a prescription for prenatals. I felt slightly overwhelmed, and made a mental note to ask Ruth if she had any pregnancy books left that I could borrow. 

     The rest of the week Bill kept me busy after work either shopping or looking at apartments. I told him I didn’t want to buy a house yet, I didn’t feel like having the responsibility of homeownership. All the apartments he wanted me to look at were suspiciously close to his house. I didn’t mind though, they were all nice and within my budget. I put in a few applications and signed a lease the day before I left for Hawaii.