Chapter 19

Sam followed me into my apartment after I unlocked the door. Then he followed me into my room and watched me from my bed while I picked out a clean outfit to wear. He moved like he was going to get up when I went into the bathroom to turn the water on.

     “Are you planning on watching me while I take a shower?” I teased. 

     He lifted an eyebrow, and started walking toward me. “Is that an invitation?”

     I laughed and closed the door in his face, but not before I saw the disappointed look he gave me. I quickly undressed and threw my trashed clothes on the floor next to my hamper. The trash can in my bathroom was too small to hold them so I made a mental note to take them to the dumpster later. 

     I stepped into the steaming water and sighed as it rained down on me. As the dirt, grime, and blood washed away, I started to relax a little. I let my mind go blank and just enjoyed the feeling of warmth and security. I washed my hair several times, then washed the rest of my body. The baby must love showers as much as I do because she became active and started doing acrobatics.

     Mesmerized by watching the shape of my belly change with her movements I must have lost track of time. Knocking on the bathroom door followed by Sam’s smooth voice asking if I was done brought me back to reality. 

     I turned the water off and told Sam I’d be right out. I quickly toweled myself off, leaving my hair for last. I pulled on some plain maternity jeans with a stretchy waist and finished my dazzling look with a plain baby blue maternity shirt. I ran a brush through my hair and put it in a quick braid.

     I almost skipped the make-up, but I knew that I would be self conscious in a room full of beautiful vampires. Why weren't there ever any ugly vampires? I’d even settle for normal looking, why are they always gorgeous? 

     I sighed and opened the door. Sam was on my bed messing with his phone. He looked up at me and I immediately knew something was wrong.

     "What is it?" I asked him.

     "The mutts heard about what happened and the alpha has issued an order to find you and bring you to him. We have to leave right now. Mark is coming to my house to discuss our next move."

     "What do they want with me?" I asked, wondering why the wolves, or for that matter the vampires cared about me or my daughter. 

    "They want your baby, but I won't let them take you." He stood up and grabbed my suitcase that I hadn't noticed resting by his feet before walking toward the bedroom door. "I'll explain at my house, but we can't stay here. This is one of the first places they'll look for you. I packed a few of your things."

      Sam ushered me out of my apartment so fast I can't even remember if I locked the door. I wondered if my stuff would still be intact when it was finally safe enough to come home. He practically threw me in the car, trying to be fast but careful at the same time. 

      A few minutes later we were entering the freeway heading toward the nicer part of town. The area I lived in was pretty nice, and the neighborhood Bill lived in was rich, but this was a whole other level. 

     Sam was driving at an alarming speed so it only took a few minutes to reach our exit and another five minutes to get to Sam's neighborhood. I recognized it immediately, it was the same neighborhood that Mark lived in. 

     Sam pushed a button on the remote clipped to his visor and a gate blocking the driveway a few houses up from us started to open. He pulled into the driveway of a gigantic three story white house with pale blue trim, the garage door was just coming to a stop letting Sam pull into the five car garage. He pushed the button again and the garage door closed.