Chapter 14

The next several months seemed to fly by. As the baby grew bigger, I started feeling her movements more and more. Sam stayed busy with work but he spent as much time with me as possible. I felt like I was back on the top of the world. Bill continued to buy things for the baby, I finally had to tell him to stop because my apartment was starting to get cluttered.

    My pregnancy seemed to be going easy, I hadn’t suffered from any of the horrors that other pregnant women complained about. I had started out with a long list of names and had narrowed it down to five. I don’t know how I was going to pick just one. 

    True to my luck though, two months before my due date my world came crashing down. It was a warm spring weekend in early May and I decided to go to the mall to pick out a few nursing bras. It was one of the few things I hadn’t gotten around to getting. Ruth and I had planned on going together but her daughter came down with an ear infection and a high fever. I didn’t want to go alone, so I called Sam. 

    “Hi sweetie,” he answered on the first ring.

    “Hey, do you have plans for today?” I asked.

    “No, I was just planning on sitting around being lazy until you were done hanging out with Ruth. Then I figured I’d come bother you.”

    “Ruth can’t make it, do you want to bother me now?”

    “You know I hate shopping.”

    “Please? I don’t want to go alone. I’ll buy you a pretzel. And I promise you won’t have to come into the store while I’m trying on bras.” I begged.

    “Model the bras for me, and I’ll come” 

    “Perv.” 

    “Yep. I’d never turn down a chance to see you in a bra.” His voice was suddenly husky and I wasn’t completely sure he was just teasing me or if he was being serious. I also wasn't sure which one I wanted.

    “I don’t think they’ll let that happen at the store. I’ll buy you a cinnamon roll too.” I sweetened the deal. Cinnamon rolls are his favorite.

    “Fine. I guess if I can’t see you in a bra, a cinnamon roll is second best.”

    “I’m glad I rank above a cinnamon roll.” I laughed.

     “Always.” I could tell he was smiling. “I’ll be over in five.” he hung up without waiting for a reply.

    It didn’t take long to get to the mall, but the parking lot was packed so we had to circle a few times to find a parking spot. Sam parked and we headed to get a cinnamon roll first. I knew from past experience that if we didn’t Sam would pout until his belly was full of sugary goodness. 

      “The maternity store is right by to the bookstore. I’ll meet you there when I’m done.” I told Sam while we were talking to the other side of the mall where our destination was located. I knew that Sam would be happy with that because he reads more than anyone I know and goes through dozens of books a week. After he’s done reading them he’ll offer them to me, if I’m not interested he donates them to the library. I’m sure they’re happy that he moved to town.

     The maternity store had a large selection of nursing bras, so many different styles it took me a few minutes to figure out how they all worked.  I tried several on and finally bought three different ones. When I figured out which one I liked the most I’d be back to buy more. 

     I thanked the cashier and took my bag to the front of the store. I checked my watch, surprised that I had spent nearly 30 minutes in the store. I started walking faster hoping that Sam wasn’t  finished picking out his latest mini library yet.  Briefly I glanced at the books that were on display just outside of the bookstore, the ones that they put on the rolling carts to catch the attention of people passing by.