Chapter 30 - Sam

I was horrified and disgusted with myself for hurting Viv. Mark was driving like a maniac as Viv was bleeding to death, and the fucking mutts kept ramming us. I almost had Viv buckled up when they attacked, the impact of their vehicles caused Mark to lose control and suddenly we were rolling down the side of a steep hill. 

     Viv and I tumbled around the SUV until it finally came to a rest on it's side. I tried to protect her with my body but it was impossible. She was covered in blood and her legs were both bent at odd angles. I heard her already too slow heartbeat start to slow even more. 

     "Fuck! Mark she's dying!" I shouted in a panic. "I have to turn her."

     "You can't, we don't know what will happen to the baby." Mark said. 

      "If I don't turn her in, they'll both die. I can't risk that." I listened to her heart again. It was only beating every ten seconds or so. I bit my wrist and put my power into my blood and put it up to her mouth. She didn't respond so I used my other hand to pry her mouth open. Since we had already had each other's blood all she needed was one drop. When I saw her swallow I sighed in relief. 

     Suddenly there was pounding on the SUV, coming from all sides. I looked out the windshield and saw that we were surrounded by mutts who were using things like crow bars and bats to try to break the glass. I also heard sirens in the distance heading our way. Fuck. 

     I knew they couldn't get in so I focused on Viv. Her breathing became shallow and after a minute it stopped all together, along with her heart. I knew she would be okay, it would take anywhere from a couple days to a couple weeks for her body to process the turn, but I didn't know what would happen to the baby. I didn't think it would turn or survive because I hadn't exchanged any blood with her. 

     "Mark, give me your knife. Viv's dead and I have to get the baby out."

     Mark wasted no time unclipping his pocket knife from his belt and handing it to me. I had never done a c section before but I had seen them done in videos. I knew Viv wouldn't be able to feel anything. 

     I moved her clothes out of the way and braced myself for what I was about to do. Working quickly I was able to get the baby out within a minute. She was pale and limp, and not breathing. Worse, I couldn't hear a heartbeat. 

     I started CPR, and for the first time in my life I was happy to hear the sirens getting closer and closer. Normally dealing with humans was a pain, but other than CPR, I didn't know how to help the tiny baby I was trying to breathe life into. If I could get her heart beating I could give her some blood and she would be okay.

     As the sirens got closer the banging on the SUV slowed and then stopped as the mutts left, not wanting to deal with the humans. Relief flooded through me when I saw the red and blue flashing lights. 

     Mark opened the driver's door and climbed out. I heard him crawl back and the back door opened above my head. 

     "The ambulance is here, hand me the baby and I'll take her to them." Mark said. 

     I lifted up the tiny limp form and passed her over to Mark and he disappeared with her. I smoothed Viv's hair away from her face and kissed her forehead. 

     "We'll bring you home tomorrow." I promised her before climbing out myself. I had done all I could, I just hoped it was enough.

A/N: there's only one chapter left and then the prologue. I had hoped to post it all and mark it as complete over the weekend, unfortunately I got a stomach bug that kicked my butt for a few days. So I'll post the last chapter later today, and the prologue plus a sneak peak at book 2 tomorrow. Thanks for reading :)