Chapter 15

“How do you know Trav?” I asked Sam as he drove us home. 

    He was silent for so long I didn’t think he was going to answer me. The way he was clenching his jaw, I could tell he was angry but I wasn’t sure if the anger was because of my question or because I had asked about Trav. I sighed and turned to look out the window.

    “Let’s just say we are business rivals, and we don’t see eye to eye on a lot of things.” Sam finally answered. 

    “Do you really think he can take my baby away?” I whispered, surprised by the sting of tears threatening to break free.

    Sam turned the car into our apartment complex and turned the engine off. He unbuckled and turned his body toward me, the look in his eyes scared me. He took my hand and started rubbing the back of it with his thumb.

    “If he was anyone else, I would say no. The most he’d probably get is 50/50. But this is Travis, he has a lot of connections, including the entire Denver police department and most of the judges. Bill is an amazing lawyer, but up against the judges that are in his pocket, it is a possibility.”

    I could feel my blood pressure surge. I had no clue Trav knew so many people, all the years I was with him we kept the same circle of friends. Up until he started the frequent business trips, we had always done things together, our social group small but consistent.

    It took me a minute to find my voice and gather my thoughts. “I don’t mind 50/50, I would love for him to be involved. How could any judge, connections or not, take a baby completely away from it’s mother?”

    Sam shook his head. “His connections are not good people. They don’t do the right thing. Many of them owe Travis favors, and he isn’t afraid to call them in.”

    I didn’t say anything, I wasn’t sure if I even could. There was a huge lump in my throat and my thoughts ran wild. Sam let go of my hand when he got out of the car, then he walked around to open my door for me.

    “Let’s worry about it when the time comes, for now let’s go inside and watch a movie.” Sam said.

    We decided to watch a movie at Sam’s apartment instead of mine because he wanted to show off his new TV. He rattled on, explaining all the better features that his old one lacked but most of it went over my head. I pretended to listen because I could see it made him happy talking about it. 

    We decided to watch the newest superhero movie Sam had just bought but hadn’t opened yet. He put the movie in the blu ray player while I popped some popcorn and raided his freezer for ice cream. I had been lucky so far and hadn’t had any weird cravings, but I couldn’t get enough ice cream. 

    We ate our snacks and when we were done Sam rearranged us on the couch so I was leaning against his chest. Toward the end of the movie the baby decided she wanted to be active and started moving around in my belly. Without thinking, I grabbed Sam’s hand and put it on the spot she was kicking me. 

“Wow.” Sam whispered.

I looked up at him and smiled. “She’s getting stronger.” 

“That’s amazing.” He looked at me for a minute and moved his head down a little. I thought he was going to kiss me, but instead he got up to use the bathroom. When he sat back down on the couch it was obvious that he purposely left a space between us. I understand why he did it, but it still hurt my feelings. 

     I started to question why his actions hurt. I had come to care for Sam, I knew this much. Where my feelings more than just a close, caring friendship? I hated to admit it to myself, but I knew they were. I was starting to fall in love.

     Distracted by evaluating my feelings and completely exhausted, I missed the end of the movie. I don’t know when I fell asleep, but I woke to Sam gently shaking me and calling my name.

     “Viv, it’s after midnight, and I’m going to get in bed.” at first I was confused then it registered that I was still at Sam’s place.

“Okay.” I said without opening my eyes. I rolled over onto my side letting sleep claim me again.

     “I’m not going to let you sleep on the couch. I’ll help you to your bed, or you can sleep in mine.” Sam said, waking me up again.

     I mumbled something, not quite sure exactly what, irritated that he wouldn’t just let me sleep. I was exhausted and my sleepy brain couldn’t understand why he was bothering me.

      I must have fallen asleep again because the feeling of my body being lifted off the couch slightly woke me again. I was aware of movement, then being put down on a very soft surface and covered with a blanket. After that I was left in peace to sleep and dream of a dark haired knight in shining armour.

      The next morning the smell of coffee and bacon woke me up. Confused I looked around the room, taking in the elegant furniture. The king size bed I was in was simple with white sheets and a black comforter. The black shiny dresser by the closet matched the black night stand that was next to my head. No pictures or other decorations were on the walls. 

     The door opened and when Sam walked in my brain realized what had happened. I had fallen asleep and he put me to bed. In his bed. I felt a little sad that I hadn’t been awake enough to enjoy being in bed next to him. He was wearing a suit and I had to fight the temptation to pull him back into bed with me. 

      Sam smiled at me and said, “I made breakfast but I have to meet a business associate to go over some financial papers. You’re welcome to whatever you want, help yourself. I don’t care if you hang out at my place, but I’m going to be gone for most of the day. When you leave just lock up. There’s an extra set of keys by the front door you can have.”

      “Okay, thanks. Bill is having a cookout tonight so I probably won’t stay long. You can come over if you want, it’s at six and I’m making my famous macaroni salad. Sorry for passing out on you last night.”  I smiled at him.

     “If I’m done by then, I’d love to come. I’ll text you around five and let you know.” With a little wave he closed the door and a few seconds later I heard the front door of his apartment open and close. I wanted to go back to sleep but my bladder and stomach wouldn’t let me. I sighed and decided to get up and start my day.