Chapter 28

The hour I spent waiting for Trav to call back seemed to drag on for weeks. Thankfully during that time 31 vampires showed up to Sam's house to help us. It was more than we were expecting, and each time someone else knocked I felt my heart get a little lighter. 

      Mark left me in the kitchen with Amee while he explained the details to the newcomers. I made it a point to meet and thank all of them, but I gave up trying to remember all their names. 

     Amee and I talked in our secret twin code, coming up with a plan for her to sneak into one of the few vehicles they were going to be taking. Everything was set, so now we just wait. I hated this part. 

      Finally, after an eternity (but really only an hour) my phone rang and Trav's name popped up on the caller ID.

       "Hello." I answered, sounding way more calm than I really was.

       "Are we still doing this?" Trav sounded irritated. 

      "Yes. Me for Sam. And then I'm free too."

      "That's the deal. You have one hour to go to this address." Trav rambled off an address while I scrambled to write it down. The address was about a half hour away. "It's a 24 hour diner. Get a seat and order something small. When your order comes I'll come in and join you. As soon as you're done we will leave together and Sam will be set free."

         Shit. This is one of the rare times I wished Amee and I were identical. 

        "Can I talk to him?" I asked. 

        "I'll see you in an hour. Don't be late." Trav ignored my question and hung up. 

        "Now what are we going to do?" I asked Mark. 

        "Viv, don't look so worried. We have an ace up our sleeve. Cody is a shapeshifter. He's a vamp with the rare ability to mimic any shape he wants. All he has to do is touch the object to "scan" it," Mark used his fingers as quotations, "and then he can mimic it. He can't mimic your scent but he can mask his. I'll go get him so he can scan you."

        Mark and Cody must have used their vampire speed because they were both standing in front of me 5 seconds later. Mark explained to Cody what he needed to do and Cody nodded. 

       "May I touch you?" Cody asked. "Just your hand,'' he added.

       I nodded and held out my hand. He took it and I guess started scanning me. Cody looked young, he was tall and skinny and his arms and legs seemed just a little too long for his body. He had dark brown hair cut short, and brown, almost black eyes. He had a kind face that was sprinkled with freckles, and a small heart shaped birthmark on his forehead. 

      After a few seconds he nodded. "Got it." 

     "Are you sure you can do this?" Mark asked.

     Cody nodded. "Sam saved my life so I'm willing to risk mine for his. He's like a dad to me."

       "He saved your life?" I asked.

        Cody nodded. "When I was about 13 I got really sick. The doctors didn't know what was wrong with me, but it was clear I was dying. I was in the hospital and my mom was asleep when Sam came in. He told me that I would die but I could live as a vampire but I had to choose fast because I only had a few minutes left. I thought I was hallucinating from the meds they gave me so I said yes. I started having seizures and I knew my time was up but Sam turned me before I died for real."