Chapter 8 Vivienne

When I woke up we had already landed. Sam helped me with my bags, and since our hotels were next to each other, we shared a taxi. I checked in, made my way up to my room, of course it was the honeymoon suite. I left my bag by the door, took off all my clothes and climbed into bed. Even though I had just slept, I was still exhausted and was asleep in no time.

    Sam and I spent the week together. At first I thought it was a little creepy, but after getting to know him better, I found out that he was indeed impulsive. What Sam wanted, Sam got. By the end of the week I had gotten used to it and found it kind of refreshing. We did all kinds of things that I wouldn’t have done if he hadn’t been there, so I was happy for his company. Plus, he kept me from sitting in my room crying the whole time. 

    The first day we went to the beach, I thought his eyes were going to pop out of his head when I took my clothes off and revealed my barely there bikini underneath. Even though I wasn’t looking for a relationship, I was glad I had bought it. I felt sexy and Sam was a complete gentleman.

    After the third day of coming up with excuses about why I wasn’t drinking alcohol, I finally told Sam that I was pregnant. He asked me all kinds of questions, curious about my situation, but he didn’t have any opinions as to what he thought I should do. His only response when I asked was, “You should do what you feel most comfortable doing.” 

    The week went by too fast. Sam left a day earlier than I did, leaving me to spend Saturday night by myself. It made me realize I was happy that I was going to have a neighbor who would be around for nights that I felt absolutely alone. I watched the sunset one last time, the beautiful oranges and red with the peaceful sound of the ocean had me wishing that I could move here permanently. I didn’t understand why Sam would move away from such an amazing place. 

    The flight home wasn’t as bad as the first, no tears this time around. I bought a book at the airport and read most of it between napping and trips to the bathroom. Landing was a new experience that freaked me out, I thought the plane was going to tip over. It was nice to finally put my feet on solid ground when I unboarded. 

    Bill picked me up from the airport and greeted me with a hug. He took my bags from me even though I protested.

    “You’re tan! It’s a good look on you.” he said beaming at me.

    I smiled. “Thanks. I didn’t miss the cold weather. I’m ready to go back.” I said.

    “Take me with you next time.” he joked. “I have a surprise for you though.”

    I don’t like surprises, and Bill knows it. “It better be good.” I grumbled.

    He smiled, but didn’t say anything. In the car we talked about everything I had done in Hawaii. When I told him about Sam showing up on the plane next to me, he had the same reaction that I had. I told him about how spontaneous Sam was, like waking me up at 5 am to go scuba diving because he decided he wanted to go. Eventually Bill relaxed a little about the Sam thing, but I could tell he still had some reservations about the situation. 

    “Besides, we had a long conversation about it, he knows I’m pregnant and I’m not going to be looking for a relationship anytime soon. We’re just friends.” I said as Bill turned into my apartment complex. “Wait, why are we here? I thought we were going home.”

    “This is your surprise.” Bill said. He got my bag out of the trunk and headed to my door. He pulled his keys out and unlocked my door. I had given him a key before I left because I have a bad habit of locking myself out of things and since Trav wouldn’t be coming to my rescue, I figured Bill would. He had agreed.

    I walked into a fully furnished apartment. The couch was the one I had told him I liked when we went shopping, the TV was massive, and the kitchen table was a cozy round piece that fit perfectly in my dining room. 

“Bill, I told you just the front room. You didn’t have to get me a table." I said.

“I know, but I wanted too. Don’t get mad, but there’s a few other things I got for you. I’ll show them to you, then I’ll teach you how to use the TV.” he said, walking to one of the bedrooms.

    I sighed. I hoped it was easy to figure out, I loved watching movies when I was bored. I followed Bill to the bedroom and gasped. He had bought me a king sized canopy bed, complete with a purple comforter, and a matching dresser and night stand. A large bookshelf sat in the corner, he had already unloaded most of my books onto it. I have a slight book addiction.

    “Bill, thank you, but this is too much.” I said. 

    “Nonsense. I told you this was your early Christmas present. You know I love to spoil my kids. Before we go into the next room, you have to promise me you won’t get mad.” he said.

    I didn’t like the sound of that. “You know I don’t make promises unless I can keep them. But I will promise to keep an open mind.” I said.

    “That’s good enough for me.” He lead me to the door of the second bedroom. “Close your eyes.” 

    I closed my eyes and waited for him to give me the okay before I opened them again. I was speechless. Bill had transformed the second bedroom into a nursery. There was a beautiful crib, with a matching dresser and changing table. He had even gotten a rocking chair, and yellow rubber duckies were everywhere. I turned around to face him, not sure what I was going to say.

    “Now before you say anything, I know you haven’t made a decision. But if you decide to keep it, then the baby needs a room. If you don’t keep it, you can donate all this or give it to the adoptive family if that’s what you choose. I always wanted a big family, and hearing you guys talk about never having children made me sad. So I took the opportunity to be a grandpa in case I don’t get it again. No pressure.”

    I wiped away the tears that had formed in my eyes and gave him a hug. I whispered, “I’ve made my decision. I’m keeping it.”

    “You are?” he asked. 

    I nodded and he pulled me in for another hug. “I’m so happy to hear that. Let’s celebrate, I’ll take you out to dinner.”

    We went to my favorite restaurant, a locally owned mexican place that had amazing food. When he dropped me off later that night I felt like a weight had been lifted. I hadn’t made a decision until I saw the nursery. I might not know how to be a mom, but I know this baby already has a lot of amazing people who love it, and they’ll help guide me when I need it. 

    I was getting into bed when my phone chimed letting me know I had a text message. I checked it and saw that it was from Trav and almost deleted it. When I read it, I regretted not deleting it.

What are you going to do about the baby? Are you going to do what we talked about?

    I thought about my response for a while. I typed and deleted several messages before I just decided to send a simple reply. 

Don’t worry about it, I’ll take care of it.

    Yes, I could see how he would think that I was agreeing to what he wanted. I wanted him to think that, but I also was telling him not to worry about the baby because I would be raising it even if he didn't want a part of it.

     It didn't take long for a reply to light up my screen.

Good

    I didn’t bother sending him a reply.