Chapter 13

It took almost two weeks before I was able to tell Sam that I was having a daughter. I wanted to tell him in person, and he was always too busy or out of town to have an actual conversation with him. With him being gone, my evenings were spent in solitude. I was lonely, and even I had my limits on how much netflix I could watch. Sam and I had gotten close and I missed him.

Ruth and I had gone shopping for maternity and baby clothes a few times, but she has her own kids so she couldn't come over every time I was feeling down. I spent my extra time organizing and reorganizing my apartment. All my skinny clothes were boxed up and labeled, I couldn't squeeze my belly into them anymore.

The one thing that kept me sane was the countdown to my birthday on Valentine's day. I was excited to be spending a weekend in Vegas with Amee. So when she sent me a text the day before I was supposed to leave telling me she couldn't get out of work and had to cancel, I was crushed. She didn't respond to my texts or calls. I refused to take another solo vacation so I stayed home, planning on spending the weekend purging on ice cream and crying while trying not to think about how last year on this day Trav had proposed. Pity party for one.

By Saturday afternoon I had run out of ice cream. I was in my pajamas still and didn't want to put on regular clothes. I felt swollen and uncomfortable. I had decided not to go to the store until Sunday, but I got a craving for frosting. I knew I didn't have any frosting because I usually don't eat this unhealthy, but it was my birthday so why not. What's a birthday without cake?

I put on some leggings and a comfortable shirt, then made my way to the store. In the bakery I stood in front of the cakes for a while, trying to decide if I wanted an actual cake, or just frosting. Finally I decided on just the frosting, so I loaded up my cart with a variety. Vanilla and chocolate of course, but I also got cherry, lemon, and cream cheese. I probably wouldn't eat all of this, but my eyes were bigger than my stomach. It would also help to have some on hand for my next craving.

Next I decided I needed some ice cream to go with my frosting. I limited myself to just vanilla and chocolate though. I do have some self control. Sometimes. I also decided to treat myself with a nice piece of fillet mignon, and some green beans. Last, I found the candles and got two of them in the shape of the numbers two and four.

When I was checking out the cashier asked if I was planning a birthday party. "Something like that." I said, not wanting her to think I was going to eat it all.

After cooking and eating my steak and green beans, I opened up the vanilla and chocolate frosting and put a candle in each one. Too late I realized I didn't have anything to light them with. I sat at the table, staring at my unlit candles wishing I had taken Bill up on his offer to take me out to dinner to celebrate my birthday.

After a quick crying episode (something that had been happening more frequently, often without any reason) I decided to see if Sam was home. I hadn't talked to him since the weekend before when I told him I was having a girl. He seemed to have lost interest in me and I had no idea why things had changed between us.

I knocked on his door and after a few minutes I heard movement inside. I hated to admit that I was excited to see him. In just a few months he had become an important part of my life. I was surprised when it wasn't Sam who opened the door.

A leggy blonde wearing a tiny, skin tight blue dress answered the door. We stared at each other for a while before she said, "What."

"Is Sam here?" I asked.

"He's in the shower. He wasn't ready for our date when I got here. Again. He's so inconsiderate sometimes." She said.

When she said date, my heart sank to my knees. I realized that this blonde was probably the reason he lost interest in me. "Well I'm his neighbor Viv. I was actually just wondering if he had a match or lighter I could borrow." I said, trying to keep my voice from shaking.

"Beth." she said, and grabbed her purse off the hook by the door. She pulled a lighter out of it and handed it to me. "Sam has told me a lot about you, I didn't realize you're due so soon. Keep the lighter."

"Oh, well I'm not-" I was cut off by the door closing in my face. I went to the full length mirror in my hall and studied my reflection. It was obvious that I was pregnant now but I didn't think I looked like I was due anytime soon. Whatever. I wasn't going to let her comments keep me from my frosting.

I lit the candles, made a quick wish and blew them out. I felt a little silly but blowing out the candles did make me feel a little better. I finally satisfied my craving for frosting, then decided to end the day with a movie. I had to pause it several times to use the bathroom, but I fell asleep on the couch before it was over.

Rapid knocking on my door a little after midnight woke me from a nightmare I had been having. I was a little disoriented from waking up on the couch, so it took my brain a few extra seconds to catch up. Whoever it was started knocking again, quick and loud.

I looked out the peephole but I hadn't turned my porch light on and I couldn't see who it was. I was a little reluctant to open the door and was trying to decide how smart it was when the knocking started again followed by, "Viv, it's Sam. Are you awake?"

I unlocked and opened the door and invited Sam in. It was snowing, and his hair was wet from the melting flakes. I didn't really feel like having a heart to heart so I was a little rude. "What do you want Sam? Did Beth change her mind and decide she wanted her lighter back?" I asked.

He shook his head. "No. Actually she didn't mention that until I dropped her off at a hotel."

"Well thanks for keeping it to a hotel instead of making me listen." I said not wanting to admit to myself the reason for my snarkiness.

"Viv, it's not what you think. I was mad at her when she told me that she made it sound like we were involved. We aren't. She's a CEO at one of my companies and we had a business dinner. I didn't want to do it this weekend, but she's cancelled on me several times and I thought you were going to be out of town. Then she showed up at my apartment two hours before we were supposed to meet at the restaurant." He explained.

I have to admit I was relieved. "Your personal business is none of my business." I said as my jealousy dissipated.

"Yes it is. I really care about you, and I know you're going through alot right now. I don't want to complicate things for you now, but I'd like to think that once things settle down we can take things further. If you want."

I didn't know what to say. Part of me wanted to say yes. But the cautious part of me was screaming at me to run. Finally I said, "I'm open to that."

He smiled at me, making me melt a little. "I know it might not seem like it, but I can be patient for what I want. If it's worth it." He stood up and kissed my cheek before opening my door. "I think you're worth being patient for. Happy birthday. " I didn't have a chance to respond before my door closed.

I got ready for bed with mixed emotions. I wrapped myself up tight with several blankets and was able to fall asleep quickly, this time without any nightmares.