Chapter 25

Sam left me in the library promising to finish what we started after he found out what Mark wanted. I made my way to my bathroom to freshen up a little. When I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror I was a little shocked to see my eyes were red and puffy from crying. 

     I washed my face and brushed my hair, hoping to feel like myself again. I was restless and bored so I decided to take a bath and finish the book I brought with me. 

     I lost track of time and when a knock startled me I realized the bath water was getting too cold for my liking. I pulled the plug and struggled to stand up. 

     "I'll be out in a minute." I said to whoever was on the other side of the door. 

      I quickly dried off and put on my oversized fluffy bathrobe. When I stepped into my room I found Sam and Amee sitting on my bed. They stood up at the same time. 

     "Alpha Roland has asked for a meeting with you. I told him it wasn't happening but he agreed to meet with Mark and me in a few hours." Sam told me. 

     "And I told him it's a stupid idea. Nothing good can come of this, he can say what he needs to say over the phone." Amee chimed in. 

      "I assume you're going." I said and Sam nodded. 

     "Mark thinks it's a good idea. Personally I think it's a set up but Mark pretty much ordered me to go. Amee is going to stay with you until we get back. Brian is also downstairs if you need anything."

      "Are you leaving now?" I asked, hoping I could have a few more hours with Sam. 

    "Yeah, I have to attend a quick council meeting to finalize a few things and then meet the weres right after. If everything goes well I'll be back before midnight."

      "Oh." I didn't even try to keep the disappointment out of my voice. 

     Sam closed the distance between us faster than my eyes could follow. He cupped my face in his hands. 

     "I cleared my schedule for tomorrow. I have the whole day free to do whatever you want."

     I smiled at him, liking the idea of spending a whole day with him. "Okay." 

     He brought his head down to mine and gave me a quick kiss goodbye. "Don't wait up for me, I'll wake you when I'm home." 

      I nodded. "Be safe" I said as he headed out my door. He turned and smiled before disappearing around the corner. 

     "What in the world was that!" Amee squealed as soon as Sam was out of sight. 

      I put an innocent expression on before I turned to face her. "What was what?"

     "He kissed you! You kissed him! Obviously I missed something." She was so excited it reminded me of when we were teenagers.

      "Oh that. Yeah, that kind of happened earlier today. I was having a meltdown and Sam comforted me and one thing led to another."

      "I want to be comforted like that with someone who looks like him." Amee said while wiggling her eyebrows. "I thought you were going to wait until after Amee Jr was here." 

     "I am not naming her after you. And I was planning on it, but living in his house has made it difficult to keep my distance."

     "You used to live next door. Distance hasn't changed much."

     "Yeah, but if I wanted to be alone all I had to do was keep my round ass inside. I can't be completely alone here. I see him every day, several times a day."