Chapter 23

"Amee!" I squealed and jumped up to hug her before my brain could catch up to what she had just said. "What are you doing here?"

     "I'm here to protect you." She said, squeezing me almost as hard as I squeezed her.

      It finally clicked. "You're a vampire? Since when? And why didn't you tell me?!" I felt a little betrayed. 

     "While you two catch up I'm going to go check on a few things." Sam said before he left the room, closing the door behind him. 

     "Please don't hate me" begged my twin with tears in her eyes. "I wanted to tell you and almost did a few times. These vampires have such strict rules. If I had told you I would have been punished."

     "I could never hate you. I'm definitely surprised, but I'm so glad I don't have to keep secrets about everything from you." I tugged on her arm and we both sat down. "So when? And how?" 

     "A little over two years ago. I didn't tell you but I got involved in the wrong crowd, as they say. I was self medicating with alcohol but after a while that stopped taking the demons away. One night I was offered heroin and I was desperate. One bad choice led me down a terrible path that I didn't think I'd ever be free from. I'm not proud of it, especially since drugs destroyed our family." She wouldn't look me in the eyes as she spoke. 

     I was shocked and a little upset that she would choose to use drugs, but I had to remind myself that she didn't have help the way I did when I met Trav. Bill tried to get Amee to come live with us but she refused, always having an excuse as to why she couldn't. 

     "After a while I was in bad shape and doing things I'd rather not tell you about just to get my next high. My whole life was chasing my next fix. One night I was having withdrawals and had no options to score. I was so tired of addiction, so tired of being alone, so tired of my depression and anxiety, and so tired of living."

     A tear slipped from her eye and rolled down her cheek. I reached over and held her hand. "I love you." I whispered to her. She finally looked up and gave me a small smile. 

     "I planned to end my life as soon as I could get my hands on enough drugs to overdose. If Sam hadn't found me that night I would be dead. Apparently someone who has visions saw that I would be important to the Vampires against the weres. It took them a while to find me and they were almost too late. Sam found me just a few minutes after I had taken enough heroin to kill me."

     "Oh Amee, why didn't you tell me things were so bad?" I was crying now too. "I'm happy Sam found you in time. I'd rather have you as a blood sucker than not at all." I smiled at her. 

     "I didn't want to drag you down with me, you seemed to be doing great and I didn't want to mess that up. In the moment all I wanted to do was end my pain. And just a warning, most vamps won't let you get away with calling them a blood sucker. I guess it's an insult because that's what the weres call them."

     "Sorry, I was just teasing." I told her, feeling a little ashamed for accidentally insulting her. 

     She smiled at me and squeezed my hand. "I know, I don't mind. But others will."

     "So what did this visionary vamp see that made them look for you?" I asked, trying to change the subject. 

     Amee shook her head. "I don't know. They've been very tight fanged about that. I don't even think Sam knows despite being on the turning council."

     "Wait, Sam is part of the special council that chooses who to turn?"

     Amee nodded. "He didn't tell you?" 

     "No, he conveniently left that out."

     "I probably shouldn't say anything, but since Sam is the one who usually turns the important newbies, I'm surprised he didn't tell you."

     "Maybe he got sidetracked when I asked him to turn me, just before you got here."

     Amee's eyes grew wide with shock. "Yeah, I definitely can't comment on that. Please don't ask me to either." 

     "What?! No, tell me!" I whined. "Please?" 

      She shook her head. "I'll be in huge trouble if I do. Please don't ask me. And put your puppy dog eyes away. I really can't Viv. I would if I could."

     "At least give me a hint at what you're hiding." I begged.

     "Ummm…" Amee inspected her nails before looking back at me. "Sam loves you." 

     I rolled my eyes. "I know. But that's not a hint. And I'm not ready to talk about that."

      "Yes it is and it is the only one you're getting so drop it. Have you decided what you're going to name my niece?" 

      Amee's attempt at changing the conversation was effective. I didn't want to talk about Sam's feelings for me and I didn't want to be forced to admit mine for him. I had been devouring baby name books, trying to find the perfect name but so far nothing had caught my attention enough to feel right. 

     "I haven't found much I like. Right now Mable is the main choice, but it just doesn't sit right."

     "Mable? You can't name her that, it's a name for a grandma not a little girl!"

      "Mable after our grandma." I said, rolling my eyes. 

      "Exactly! Our grandma. I think you should name her after me."

     "Oh please. If I name her after you she'll get your attitude and then where will we be?" 

     Amee threw her head back and laughed. "True. That's why you should do it though."

     "Absolutely not!" I said, laughing with her. In that moment I felt something break in me, but not in a bad way. I was truly happy and content for the first time in months. I felt the sorrow and depression I had encapsulated myself in crack and start to break off. 

     Amee and I spent hours talking about everything and nothing. There was raw honesty between us, something that hadn't happened in years. We were close again and I went to bed with a smile on my face and my heart so much lighter than it had been in months. 

A/N

This week has been crazy at work for me because of the upcoming holiday, so this update is a little late.

Also, suicide is an important subject and it has had a huge impact on my life in many ways. I wasn't sure if I should include that in this book, but it is a part of many people's lives and important to talk about. If you or anyone else is struggling with thoughts of harming yourself, please find someone to talk to. You matter, you are important, and it is absolutely okay to not be okay.

National suicide hotline: 800-273-8255

As always, thanks for reading!