Chapter 9

After I got back from Hawaii I kept myself busy. Sam and I spent a lot of evenings together, and I hung out with Ruth a lot too. Thanksgiving was a quiet evening with Bill and Amee followed through with her promise and made plans to come visit during Christmas. I had just finished my Christmas shopping when I had to pick her up the day before Christmas eve. 

    I hadn’t seen her in almost a year and was so happy to see her I nearly tackled her. She was still my total opposite, her straight honey colored hair was cut at chin length, while mine was a tangled mess down my back. Her outfit screamed elegant, while my jeans and sweater was more relaxed. She was older than me by five minutes, taller too with flawless skin, so I was really feeling like the younger frumpy sister. 

    She didn’t say much on the way to my apartment. I would have been asking her all kinds of questions if she was in my situation. When we got inside my apartment I gave her a quick tour. 

    “I don’t have an extra bed, but mine is king size so you can sleep with me if you want. Or the couch if you’re afraid of catching cooties from me.” I joked.

       She smiled, finally a reaction from her. “The couch is fine. I’m not afraid of cooties, but I like to watch TV until I fall asleep and I don’t want to disturb you.”

    “Okay, I’ll grab some pillows and some blankets for you.” I got them from the closet while she turned the TV on. “Are you hungry?” I asked.

    She shook her head. “I had a big lunch, but don’t let me stop you if you are.”

    “No, I’m good. There’s leftover meatloaf in the fridge if you change your mind.”

    “Kay, thanks. I’m really just tired and I’d like to get some sleep if you don’t mind.”

    I looked at my watch, it was just after eight. “Okay, well I guess we’ll talk in the morning. I’m glad you came.” I gave her another hug before saying goodnight. 

    The next day she was just as distant, but finally on Christmas she was back to the Amee I knew. We waited until Bill came over in the afternoon to open presents. I had gotten her a gift card to her favorite clothing store, along with a mug that said #1 Aunt. Bill got a gift certificate too, along with a few new ties and a shirt that said #1 grandpa. Have I mentioned I’m a terrible gift giver? I usually stick with gift certificates or lottery tickets. 

    Amee gave me some things for the baby, and a few pregnancy books. Bill had already given me the furniture, but he also bought me a video camera. I had never had one before, so it was by far my favorite gift. We sat around talking for a while before starting dinner. Amee and I had a tradition, we always ate lasagna on Christmas. It’s something our first foster parents did, and we continued doing it.

    Amee is a much better cook than I am so I let her do most of the work. Of course it turned out amazing, and we were all happy and full. It might have only been the three of us, but I felt so much love and happiness that night.

    Bill left soon after eating, and Amee and I got into our pajamas and settled on the couch to watch Christmas Vacation with Chevy Chase. Another tradition started by our grandfather when we were young. 

    I had just pulled the popcorn out of the microwave when there was a knock at my door. 

    “Ouch, it’s hot. I’ll get the door.” I said. I looked through the peephole and saw Sam on the other side.

    I opened the door and Sam pulled a bouquet of roses out from behind his back. He stepped in my apartment, gave me a quick kiss on the cheek and wished me a merry Christmas before he noticed Amee on my couch.

    “Oh, I’m sorry. I completely forgot you said your sister was staying with you this week. I can come back at another time.” He said.

    “No, stay. We were about to watch a movie, I don’t think Amee would mind if you watched it with us.” I said.

    Amee got up from the couch and put her hand out, “Nope not at all. I’m Amee, Viv’s hotter, funnier, smarter sister.”

    Sam laughed and shook her hand. “I’m Sam, Viv’s neighbor. She also mentioned something about you being older too.”

    Amee smiled at him and said, “Only by five minutes. Don’t let her fool you, I’m not an old hag.”

    We all laughed, but I was a little bothered with how much she was flirting with him. Then I was bothered that it bothered me. I put the roses in a vase, grabbed the popcorn and joined them on the couch. We made a Sam sandwich, he got smooshed in between us.

    The movie ended just before midnight, Sam got up and stretched as the credits played. I stood up too, but because I needed to use the bathroom. When I came out I found Sam and Amee sitting at my table laughing. 

    “Well I’d love to have a twin slumber party, especially with you two ladies but I have a feeling that would be slightly inappropriate.” Sam said standing up. “Goodnight ladies.”

    Amee and I said goodnight to each other and went to bed. I couldn’t sleep though, I kept tossing and turning. When I did finally sleep I had nightmares all night long.