Chapter 10

The day after Christmas Amee and I spent the day doing the sister bonding thing. We went all girly and painted my fingernails (she didn’t want to do hers since she had just gotten them done) and our toenails. We did face masks, of course we had to take a selfie with our faces covered in mud. Then she even did my hair, something she hadn’t done since we were kids. 

    We talked all day, she finally asked her questions about the baby, and about my relationship with Sam. I assured her that right now he’s just a friend, but I did care for him a lot. 

   “Can  you see yourself falling in love with him?” she asked.

   I thought about it for a minute. “Yes, I know I could easily fall in love with him. But I don’t think that’s a good idea.” 

   “Why not? He’s hot, and rich, and NICE. Every girl’s dream.” she said.

   “Because I don’t think he wants a family life. He’s very spontaneous, takes last minute vacations, moves around the country whenever he feel like it. He’s taken three spontaneous vacations in the two months that I’ve known him.”

   “What’s wrong with that? It sounds like fun.” 

     “Yes, it does sound like fun. I’d love to live that kind of lifestyle. But unfortunately babies come with a lot of responsibility. You can’t live that kind of lifestyle and raise a baby.” I answered sadly.

    “You’re right. I can tell he cares about you though, maybe he’ll change.” 

   “We’ll see.” I said. 

   The week passed to quick for me, and on New Year’s Eve I had to say goodbye to my sister. We agreed to meet in Vegas for our birthday in February but it was still hard saying goodbye.

    After dropping Amee off at the airport I went home to get ready for the party Sam was taking me to. One of his friends was having a party at his mansion and the only reason I agreed to go was because I’ve driven by that house many times and I’ve always wanted to see what the inside was like.

    I was wearing a black sparkly dress that Amee had helped me pick out earlier that week with black 6 inch heels. The dress was sleeveless and short, so that meant I was going to freeze, but I looked good. When I opened the door for Sam he didn’t say anything, just stood there with his mouth hanging open. I think that meant he approved. When he finally did talk all he said was, “Wow.” 

        Sam drove us to the party, I offered to drive so he could drink but he refused and said that he would stay sober with me. I was kind of glad because I didn’t want to try to deal with a drunk Sam when we left.  Plus, he also has a brand new BMW, and I enjoyed riding in it but I didn't want to drive it.

    The house was bigger than I expected. There were a lot of people, the makeshift dance floor was packed, and most of the other rooms were still crowded. The music was loud, but not loud enough we couldn't talk over, the bar was stocked with plenty of drinks, even non alcoholic ones. Sam introduced me to so many people that I stopped trying to remember names.

    “This place is incredible!” I said during a brief break between new faces.

   “I know, I always enjoy coming here. I feel like there’s still parts of the house I haven’t explored and I’ve been here dozens of times.” He said.

    “Do you make it a habit of exploring homes that aren’t your own?” I teased.

    He shrugged and said, “If the mood strikes. Do you want to dance?”