Chapter 29

"Oh my God, Sam!" I shouted as I got out of the SUV. 

      "Shhhh. We're still being hunted by wolves." Mark shushed me. Oops. "Help me get him into the back seat."

      I took a second to look Mark over. He was covered in blood and there were huge holes all over his clothes. His face was pale, but at least he was conscious, unlike Sam. I wasn't sure how much I would be able to help. Mark was holding Sam up under one of his shoulders, so I draped Sam's free arm around my shoulders and nodded to Mark. 

      Mark carried most of Sam's weight while I basically held him steady and helped guide him to the back door. I opened it, trying to figure out how we were going to do this without just dumping Sam on the floor. 

      "Get in and I'll lift him up." Mark instructed. I did so and just as I turned around on the seat we heard a wolf howl, and it was close. "Fuck, they found us." 

     I wasn't expecting Mark to lift Sam so fast and the top of Sam's head hit my lower face. Mark closed the door and within seconds he was getting in the driver's seat just as another howl broke the silence of the night. It sounded like it was just outside the SUV. 

      I had left the escalade running so Mark put it in drive and took off as fast as it would go. My heart was pounding as adrenaline rushed through my body. 

     "Fuck Viv, you're bleeding." Mark growled.

      I touched my lip and felt that it was wet. "Yeah, Sam's head split my lip open. It's no big deal." 

      "It is a big deal if he wakes up. Normally vamps have amazing control over their bloodlust, but not when they're so weak. Sam has lost a lot of blood and he might try to drink from you. I can't stop because there are wolves running next to us and a car full of them about half a mile behind us."

          Oh shit. I tried to stay as still as possible. I felt hyper aware of Sam's body leaning against mine, and when he started to move a little I was afraid of him. 

       "Viv, he's going to bite you. Stay calm and don't fight him. It shouldn't take much of your blood to heal him enough for him to come to his senses and stop on his own. As soon as he does put your seatbelt on because I'm going to start driving crazy to lose the mutts."

      This night keeps getting better and better. Suddenly Sam sat up and attacked me. It happened so fast, one moment he was leaning against me and the next I felt two sharp pricks on my neck. I gasped in pain and tried to relax. 

     "Sam, you need to get off her. Wake up Sam!" Mark was yelling from the front seat. It didn't seem to have any effect on Sam. "Shit, Viv, get your seatbelt on if you can. There's three cars behind us and they're probably going to box us in." 

     I tried to reach behind my to feel for the seatbelt  but the angle that Sam had me pinned down made it impossible. 

     "Sam! Please stop, I need to buckle up!" I shouted, but Sam didn't respond. The SUV swerved and then we were hit from behind. 

      Mark let out a string of curses before he shouted, "Hang on!"

     He made a sharp left causing Sam and I to fall forward. The front seats kept is from falling to the ground. 

     "I'm turning again," Mark warned me. He made another left but before we straightened out we were hit on the left side of the SUV. The jolt forced Sam off me, unfortunately he still had a grip on my artery with his teeth. I screamed as his teeth ripped out of my neck. 

     I knew things were bad when blood started pouring down my chest. The headlights from the vehicle behind us illuminated Sam's face and I saw the moment he became himself again. 

     "Oh my God Viv, I'm so sorry. Hang on." He told me and brought his wrist to his mouth.

     "Sam, get her buckled up now, we're going to crash." Mark said from the front seat. 

      Sam picked me up and put me on the seat where he could buckle me up. As he reached for the seatbelt we were jerked around from all three vehicles hitting us at once. Sam lost his grip on the seatbelt as we were both thrown sideways and then forward. 

     I was light headed from the blood loss. I was too weak to move. "Sam." I whispered, and closed my eyes. I was so cold and sleepy.

     "Shh, I've got you, you'll be okay." He picked me back up and put me on the seat. He reached for the seatbelt again just as Mark started swearing. I heard a loud bang that seemed to go on forever as I felt my body being thrown around. Everything was hurting but I felt numb at the same time. It was a weird feeling. I tried to open my eyes but it was too hard. I felt something wet on my lips that dripped into my mouth. The shouting that sounded like it was in the distance grew quieter until all I heard was the sound of my heartbeat. It slowed down and eventually stopped.