Chapter 5

Ruth had agreed to go with me to get some of my stuff after work. Bill offered to go, but I didn’t want him to have to choose sides if there was an argument. She followed me to my house, or I guess I should say Trav’s house. I was relieved to see that none of the cars from that morning were there. Still, I didn’t want to do this. 

     “Do I just walk in? Do I knock? I don’t know what to do here.” I admitted to Ruth while we were standing in front of my car.

     “It’s your house, just walk in.” Ruth answered in her no nonsense mom tone.

     “Technically it’s Trav’s house. Bill bought it for him when he graduated from college. He would have bought me one too, but I was already living with Trav when I graduated.”

     Ruth just looked at me and shook her head. I followed her as she walked to the front door and tried the handle. 

     “It’s locked. Hopefully that means he’s not here because I don’t feel like going to jail tonight.” Ruth tried to joke. Maybe it was a joke, I’m not entirely sure.

     I reached the key toward the lock and and shook my head. ‘This isn’t going to work, he changed the door handle.” 

     “What?!” I think she was as mad as I was. She knocked on the door, then rang the door bell, then knocked again. Everything stayed silent, Trav wasn’t home.

     I pulled out my phone and called his number. It rang twice before he answered. “Make this quick, I’m busy.”

     “Well hello to you too.” I said irritated.

     “What do you want?” His voice was cold and distant.

“Did you change the locks?”

     “Yes, I don’t want you snooping around my house when I’m not home. Your stuff is in the garage, I haven’t changed the code yet, but I’m doing that tonight so make sure you get all of your things.”

     “So you’re not even going to talk to me about this, you’re just done?” 

     “There’s nothing to talk about.” he said and hung up.

     Ruth was studying me while I was talking to Trav, but she had given me some space so I could feel like my conversation was somewhat private. I shook my head in frustration and put my phone back in my pocket. 

     “Apparently my things are in the garage but I have to get it all tonight.” I told her.

     “Please tell me you aren’t going to become one of those pathetic whiney women who beg men that treat them like shit to work things out.” She said.

     Apparently my conversation wasn’t as private as I had thought. I shook my head, “No, but I wanted to discuss the baby with him more. If I choose adoption, I’ll need his cooperation. If I keep it, will he change his mind and fight me for custody later?”

     “You have a few months before you have to worry about that. Right now lets focus on getting your things, then dinner. I’m getting hangry and that boy’s attitude isn’t helping.” 

     I agreed, then opened the garage door. Just like he said, there were several stacks of boxes full of my personal items. I didn’t expect to see any furniture, except maybe my dresser, but it wasn’t there. Most of our, or I guess I should say his, furniture was purchased by Bill when he bought the house. The dresser I had called mine actually had belonged to Trav’s mom, and I had used it since Bill took me in. 

      We had to put the back seats of Ruth’s van down to fit all the boxes in, but I was happy to only make one trip. I didn’t want to be there when Trav got home, I wasn’t sure if I would start crying or hitting, maybe even both, but I didn’t want to find out. I'm not a violent person but his unusual behavior was testing my limits. My hormones being out if whack didn't help either.