Chapter 3

Ruth is mad at me when I walk in to work the next morning, I knew she probably would be. She doesn’t even tell me good morning like she usually does. In fact, she doesn’t even look at me until I corner her by the coffee machine.

   “I know you’re mad, but just hear me out before you give me the silent treatment,” I beg her. “Please?”

    She finally looks at me, and gives me a quick nod, her curly hair bouncing with the movement. Her lips are still tight, so I know that she’s very angry with me for not texing her.

   “Trav didn’t come home last night, his friend Brad pick him up from the airport. He didn’t answer his phone, and the only thing I’ve heard from him was a text this morning telling me he’d see me tonight. I didn’t even remember I told you I’d take a picture until I took the test this morning. I was so mad at him I didn't even think about texting you.” I explained.

    Ruth’s eyes got wide and I could see on her face when her anger shifted from me to Trav. “What?! So he didn’t come home, didn’t call, and you’re not out hunting him down? And you finally took the test? Do we get to celebrate tonight with sparkling grape juice or champagne?” 

    I nodded. “I don’t even know where Brad lives. I don’t know what to think, he’s never done anything like this before. And I don’t exactly feel like celebrating, but champagne and all alcohol is out for the next 9 months.”

      Ruth squealed and started jumping up and down, clapping her hands. “This isn’t going to be bad as you’re expecting it to be. Babies are always a blessing, and the first time you feel it move you’ll fall in love.  The first time you see it’s face, you’ll understand what true love really is. I'm so excited for you! If you need me to kick Trav's ass let me know.”

     I gave her a weak smile, wishing I could be as excited as she was. “I hope so, and thanks. I might take you up on that.” Our conversation was interrupted by the phone ringing, and the rest of the day we were too busy to talk much more about it. I tried calling Trav throughout the day but his cell phone remained off, and his secretary told me he was in meetings all day. My texts went unanswered, and my temper got the better of me several times. 

     My work was slow and sloppy, I could tell Bill was getting a little annoyed with me. By the end of the day I was so far behind I decided to bring my laptop home to catch up. Trav and I needed to have a serious talk, but I also needed to allow a few hours for some research and prepping for our cases the next day.

     When I got home, there was still no sign of Trav. I called again for what must have been the millionth time, still just his voicemail. For a few seconds I contemplated throwing my phone across the room but common sense took over and I set it on the counter. How would I make call number one million and one if my phone was broke? Better to just distract myself with work.

     I spread my work out on the kitchen table and tried to focus. It took a while, but finally I was able to concentrate enough to get something done. I blocked everything out and lost track of time, so when I heard the front door close, I jumped. I glanced at the clock and was surprised to see it was after nine. 

   I took a deep breath, calming myself down before I went to talk to Trav. I didn’t hear him moving through the house, so I assumed that he was waiting by the front door. He must have known that I’d be furious and didn’t want to walk into the lion’s den. Coward. Except he wasn’t by the front door, and he wasn’t anywhere downstairs. 

    I heard a door upstairs close, so I headed up and found Trav sitting on our bed. He looked tired, his long frame bent over, blond hair covering his piercing blue eyes. I leaned against the door frame and he looked up at me, his face blank. Without saying a word he gathered up the clothes that were sitting next to him and started walking toward the bathroom.