Chapter 22

"How old are you?" I asked, curious but afraid of the answer. 

     "I'm a little over 300 years old. I was turned when I was 28." 

     "Are all vampires turned or can they be born?"

     "Some can be born but it is very rare. All vampire children, born or turned, continue to grow until their mid 20s. We only turn children in the most dire circumstances though."

     "How do you choose what kids to turn? Obviously you aren't turning all kids that aren't going to have a long life."

     "That's where our powers come in. There are a few vampires who can see glimpses of the future, and one who can time travel, but he has been forbidden from doing so for a few decades now. If there's a child who is important to the future that would die without being turned, a special council votes on it. We also vote for adults to be turned too, but that's usually done during our quarterly meetings."

     "So you guys have unique, individual powers. Do you all have any that are the same? Like are all vampires able to control me if I look into their eyes?" 

     Sam laughed at this then suddenly had a guilty look. Oh shit, he had done it to me. I wonder what it was he did and why he felt guilty over it.

     "Not always. Vampires are humans with extra abilities, but most of us have sensitivities as well. Most of us can move fast. Most of us can see, hear, and smell significantly better than humans. But not all of us. And being able to do one doesn't mean we can do the other. The more powerful the vampire, the more abilities they have. Most vampires start out with little or no powers, but they have quite a few downfalls. 

     "Downfalls are what I like to think of as nature's way to even things out a bit. Almost half of new vampires can't go into the daylight without severe sunburns for the first year or so. Most of us outgrow it but there have been several who haven't. Food sensitivity is also something the stories got somewhat right. It isn't always garlic, it could be anything. It won't kill us, but it makes us incredibly sick. Again, most outgrow it in a year. 

     "Holy objects have never had a negative effect on anyone as far as I'm aware. Most of us aren't blood thirsty, but it has happened. Unfortunately those who are almost always have to be ended. Most of us keep our emotions and humanity, those who don't are dangerous and usually ended."

     "So the stories didn't get everything right." I said. "I know you can be in the sun and move fast, what else can you do?" 

     Sam sighed. "We usually don't like to be asked that question. Some vamps are proud of their abilities, but most like to keep them a secret. Also, don't ever ask anyone what their downfalls are, we never reveal those because most of them can be used to kill us. 

     "I'll tell you the ones that are common knowledge. I can control humans if they make eye contact, I have super healing abilities and can heal most human and vampire injuries with my blood, and I also have the ability to turn a human."

     "So not all vampires can make more vampires?" I asked, shocked. 

     Sam shook his head. "If they could, then the Earth would have been completely overrun with vampires centuries ago. It's not a rare ability, but it isn't common either." 

     "So how do you know if it's something you can do? Does the person just die if the vampire can't?" 

     "No, the human doesn't have to die to become a vampire. They're usually turned as they're dying, but it isn't required. The human actually drinks the vampire's blood first, then the vampire drinks the human's blood. Then all it takes is one last sip of the vampire's blood with the vampire's intent to turn the human. If the vampire doesn't put his power behind it, then nothing happens."