Chapter 4

Waking up in a strange bed was not how I wanted to start my day. I was tired, confused, and I had a horrible headache. I wanted to go home and crawl in bed next to Trav, but I knew that wasn’t going to happen, at least not right now. 

     I was able to drag myself out of bed, take a shower and pulled myself together. My eyes were slightly swollen from crying, hopefully the extra make up I put on would hide it. Bill had a big case in court today, and I was expected to be there. 

     I made the short drive home to pick up my laptop and was surprised to find half a dozen cars parked in front of my house. They were a variety, different makes and models but they were all expensive and flashy. At first I thought maybe they were there for a neighbor, but when I saw a BMW and a Lexus in the driveway, I knew that they were there for Trav. 

     Nothing prepared me for what I saw when I opened the door. There were at least a dozen adults, men and women sleeping all over the livingroom. That was surprising but it wasn’t what shocked me. None of them were wearing clothes, and none of them were Trav. It almost looked like they had a huge orgy, but there were no alcohol containers anywhere. Maybe they had a sober orgy. 

     I went into the kitchen, and it was a mess. Dirty dishes and trash everywhere, the garbage can was knocked over and it’s contents strewn around under the table. It looked like there was a food fight, unidentified food globs littered the walls. Worried, I looked for my laptop but it wasn’t on the table where I had left it. I began a frantic search through the trash on the floor, praying I wouldn’t find it ruined. 

     Awkwardly squatting in my skirt and heels, digging through trash was not helping my temper. After a few minutes of unsuccessful searching, I decided I needed to ask Trav if he had moved it. Despite wanting to know why there were so many naked people in the house, I didn't really want to see him. Going up the stairs was like climbing an obstacle course, there were more people sleeping in the nude along with what appeared to be the majority of the discarded clothing. 

    After finally reaching the closed door that lead to the bedroom I shared with Trav, I took a deep breath and steadied myself. There had to be a good explanation for all this right? If he was on drugs, I could handle it. Or maybe it was aliens, or bigfoot. Perhaps it was something like one of those movies where a bunch of guys go out and it’s all chaos but they don’t remember anything. Maybe he had slept through the orgy since he was so tired. I told myself we’d get it sorted all out but something deep down knew I was lying.

      I opened the door and froze. I had hoped I would find Trav in bed, which I did. What I did not expect to find was the naked woman on top of him. They weren’t sleeping, of course it couldn’t be that simple. She was riding him, and his hands were all over her. Trav broke eye contact with her to look at me, and gave me a little wave. I felt like he punched me in the stomach. The woman on top of him looked at me and gave me an evil all-knowing grin. Bitch.

     I was froze while my heart shattered and unsure what to do until I felt the sudden urge to vomit. I barely made it to the bathroom before I was sick everywhere. I missed the toilet by a few steps, and ended up making a mess on some clothes that weren’t mine. I almost felt bad but then decided that smug bitch deserved it. 

     I went back into the bedroom, they were still going at it. I felt like some sort of voyer for having watched them, but I had seen enough. As I ran out the door I heard her call out to me, “close the door on the way out, wouldya?”

    I ignored her and made my way down the stairs as fast as I could. I was able to make it to my car before I broke down. My heart was in pieces, my chest hurt, and I struggled to breathe. I screamed and cried, took my anguish out on my poor car by hitting the steering wheel several times. I realized my make up was ruined when some mascara bled into my eyes making them sting. I didn’t care.

    I had never had my heart broken before, and let me tell you, it sucks. Big time. I felt like I was dying. I needed comfort of people who still loved me, unfortunately that list was small. I picked up my phone and called Amee but it went to voicemail. I left her a message letting her know the wedding was cancelled and asked her to call me back. Hopefully she’d understand through the sobs. Amee and I weren’t close like we used to be, but we always had each other’s back no matter what. 

    The other two people that I wanted to talk to were both at the office, so I decided to go in. It wasn’t until I was walking through the front door that I remembered I didn’t have my laptop. I couldn’t bring myself to care when my world was crashing down.

    Ruth wasn’t in yet, but I could see Bill sitting at his desk through his open door. When he looked up I knew he had been waiting for me, Bill rarely leaves his office door open. As I walked toward him, he got up and met me in front of his desk with a huge hug. I tried not to cry because I didn’t want to get make up all over his shirt, but I couldn’t help it. I tried to pull away, but he held on.

    “But your shirt-” I started to protest.

    “It’s just a shirt. When Trav dropped off your laptop at my house last night, I knew I’d probably be needing an extra today. So I brought two.” he said, patting my back. “He didn’t tell me what was going on, he actually got mad when I asked. Do you want to talk about it?”

    I nodded and started to tell him what happened, starting with when he had Brad pick him up at the airport. When I was telling him about the positive pregnancy test, I was interrupted by Ruth opening the office door.

    “Sorry I’m late, there was an accident by my house that took forever to….” she trailed off when she saw my tear stained face and Bill comforting me. “Oh honey, what’s wrong?”

    “I was telling Bill about talking the pregnancy test, but now that you’re here I’ll tell you both what happened last night and this morning.” They were both quiet when I told them what happened, but I could tell by the looks on their face that they were both very angry with Trav. When I was finally done, Ruth got out of her chair and smothered me with a hug. 

    Bill paced in front of his desk, something I had never seen him do. I had never seen him this agitated, not even the rare occasion that his ex wife, Trav’s mom, came into town to flaunt her extravagant lifestyle. She had left him for another lawyer that she had an affair with for several years. Trav was still in elementary school when she left and she made no effort to be involved in his life.

    “I raised him better than this. I don’t know what to say. I knew he never wanted kids, but I never thought he’d turn out to be a deadbeat like Tracy. I’m so sorry Viv. You know you’re always welcome to come stay with me while you guys get this all sorted.” Bill said while pacing.

    “I’ll stay with you until I can find my own place. There’s nothing to sort. He doesn’t want the baby, doesn’t want to consider adoption, and doesn’t want to marry me unless I do what he wants.”  I said.

    “Plus there’s the fact that he was fucking his side chick.” Ruth added.

    I noded. “I was trying not to think about that.” 

    Bill tried to send me home, or rather to his house, but I refused. At first that’s all I wanted to do, but the more I thought about it I realized I needed to stay busy. Ruth helped me get cleaned up and look presentable, and I spent the day in court with Bill. The case, a custody disagreement he was working on had a lot of evidence to be presented (plus a lot of arguing) on both sides, so it took up a big part of the day. Near the end I could tell the judge was getting irritated that it was taking so long and I was definitely irritated that they were both being so petty. Was this what I had to look forward to if I didn’t choose adoption?