Chapter 26

"What happened?" I asked Mark, grabbing his arm. 

           "Perhaps we should take this into the office." Amee said. 

           Mark shook his head."Not yet. I called Vince, he should be here soon." 

          "Do you need to be healed?" Amee asked Mark. 

         He shook his head again. "I got away before I was hurt too much. Most of this blood isn't mine." 

     I didn't want to wait for Vince to come, I wanted to shake Mark and ask how we get Sam back. I managed to control my anger and kept my hands to myself. Luckily we didn't have to wait long, a knock interrupted the tense silence. 

     I was the closest to the door and opened it before Vince finished knocking. His blonde hair was messy like he had been running his hand through it frequently. Behind him stood two identical men, both about my height with dark hair and dark eyes and olive skin. 

     I stepped back and Vince came inside followed by the identical men. The only difference between them was the length of their hair, one had very short hair, the other's hair reached his shoulders. They were both very handsome, which made me suspect they're vampires. 

     We all stared at Mark waiting for his signal to get things started. However Mark was only looking at Vince and their facial expressions made it obvious they were having a silent conversation. My anxiety was through the roof and I was done waiting around. 

     "Okay, Vince and his two buddies are here, can we all talk about what happened and how we get Sam back?" I asked, not caring that I sounded rude. 

     "Yes, of course." Mark nodded and started heading down the hall. I was a little surprised that he led us to Sam's private office instead of the meeting room. We all shuffled in and Mark gestured for Amee and me to sit down. He waited until we were both settled to finally start talking.

     "Viv this is Dylan," he motioned with his hand to the handsome twin with the short hair, "and this is Javier." The one with long hair. "They're our clean up crew, in charge of making sure our kind remains a secret despite the many vamps who want to go public. You'll probably be seeing a lot of them."

     Wait, vamps wanted to go public? Not important right now, we need to focus on Sam, and Mark was getting on my last, very short, nerve. I nodded to the twins in acknowledgement. They nodded back.

     "As you know, Sam and I went to meet with the weres. They threatened to start a war with the vampires if we continued to protect you. They offered anything we wanted in exchange for handing you over to them. When we denied their request, we were ambushed. I don't know how they were able to surround us with so many wolves without me hearing or smelling them. Sam and I knew that there were too many for us to take on our own, so we agreed to flee as soon as we got a chance, even if it meant separating. After a while Sam was able to get close enough to their alpha to attack him and most of the pack rushed to his aid, leaving me an opportunity to escape. I got far enough away that they thought I was gone, but I stayed and watched. I waited to see if there was an opportunity to free Sam, but it never came. 

     "When they stabbed him in the chest with a stake, I knew I couldn't save both of us. Sam's best chance was for me to come back for help. I don't know if he's even still alive, but if he is we'll get him back."

     I didn't realize I was crying until a tear landed on my hand.

"He's alive." Said Amee. When I looked at her she answered my unspoken question. "Sam is the one who turned me, and one of my gifts is having a…." She waved her hands, "connection to family. I don't know how, but by siring me he falls into the family category, along with all the vamps he's turned. I can still feel our connection. He's still alive."