Out of Mind (2)

An eighteen year old girl did push-up after push-up, teetering on her limit and pushing beyond. Sweat tricked down her face as she outperformed each and every single one of her fellow trainees.

Trainer: Push-up exercise over. Everyone, get to the obstacle course ASAP. We've got some special observers on duty today to see if you're really ready for a war.

The trainees rose up with groans before jogging towards the obstacle course of the training facility. Upon arriving, the girl noticed a man with dark skin and short hair inside one of the observation decks. He wore a black suit and carried a data-pad.

?: Allow us to begin, will trainee number 001 step forward.

The girl looked down at her chest to see her number. . . 777. It was going to be a long a day. . . .

*A Eight Hours Later*

The obstacle course was not what anyone expected it to be. Automated turrets fired electrifying rounds as they moved from one end to the other. Without the turrets, it seemed like a daunting task, but with them, it seemed impossible. . . .

?: Trainee number 777, please step forward.

The girl did just that. She took a deep breath and set off with a spring the second the buzzer sounded! The beginning was just a straight line that led into a large room with barricades everywhere. Turrets were on slightly elevated positions all over the room. Instead of heading directly into a barricade like every trainee before her, she leaped over one as the turrets fired! She never once stopped moving, and simply ran forward with a strafe like movement while jumping over barricade after barricade! The man in the observation deck was taken aback by her wreck less approach, but she seemed to have to physical capability to back it up.

?: Interesting. . . .

She reached the other end of the room and tapped a button, ending the obstacle course.

Girl: Piece of cake.

The observer wrote a few things down before taking a final glance at the trainee. In his line of work, her performance was nothing extraordinary, but she did show potential. He then looked at a tab on his data-pad. Agent South Carolina had put in quite the word for the girl. Exceptional physical skill with greater medical skill. He then recalled the specialties of each Freelancer. Medical skill was not one of them. The girl would be an interesting addition to the organization.

*An Hour Later*

The girl walked to the door of her quarters. On the other side was the Counselor of Project Freelancer. . . .

Girl: Um. . . Come in?

Counselor: Hello, it's a pleasure to make your acquaintance.

Girl: Uh, right. Likewise.

Counselor: There's no need to be nervous, I've only come with. . . a proposition, so to speak.

Girl: What do you mean, sir?

Counselor: How would you like to join Project Freelancer?

A smile formed on the girl's face instantly.

Girl: H-How could I say no?! Of course!

Counselor: Very well then. Prepare your belongings and report to landing bay seven.

Girl: Sir, yes sir!

Within only half an hour, the girl was there and the Counselor was awaiting her arrival.

Counselor: I'd like to welcome you to Project Freelancer, Agent Hawaii. . . .

*Present Day*

Ruby: Um, what?

Tex: We're gonna need some help.

Ruby: Who do you have in mind?

Tex: An old friend. . . .

(A/N- Here's the first glimpse of Ruby's past! As for why I put this here instead of in Remembrance, is because I have something else planned. The reason the normal Out of Mind Part 2 isn't here is because Remembrance makes it completely obsolete.)