Out of Mind (3)

Police sirens blared through a busy city. A man in light orange armor was picking a lock to one of the buildings. . . . Ruby and Tex glanced at each other before the black armored one raised her battle rifle.

Tex: Alright freeze!

?: Oh. . . Sorry officer. . . I uhh, lost my keys to my shop here and I was. . .

He slipped the lock pick into his pocket before drawing a pistol where the two girls couldn't see.

?: . . .trying to figure out a way, you know um. . .

Tex lowered her weapon and smiled.

Tex: You never were a good liar, York.

York: York? I haven't been called York in a really long time. Hello, Allison. . . .

Tex: I thought we went over the only person allowed to call me that.

York: Yeah yeah, I wonder where Hawaii is these days.

Ruby: Uh. . . .

Tex: York, we have some explaining to do.

York: I figured, you gonna introduce me?

Ruby: I'm Ruby, it's nice to meet you.

Having heard her voice, the old freelancer recognized her within an instant.

York: Wait! Hawaii?!

Ruby: Oh right, did I know him?

Tex: Yes, you did. Listen York, I found Hawaii not too long ago. Only issue was, she didn't remember anything besides her name.

York: Yikes.

Ruby: S-Sorry, if I forgot about you. . . .

York: It's fine. I doubt having amnesia's easy, Hawaii.

Ruby: Oh, I'd appreciate if you just called me Ruby.

York: Understood.

Tex: Now that that's over, you down to petty theft now York? Seems like a waste of your talents.

York: Hey, whatever pays the rent. There's not much call for a former infiltration specialist these days.

Ruby: Well, at least you can do cool stuff.

York: She's. . . better that I last saw-

Tex: Don't.

York: Ohhhh. Guess her losing her memories was a blessing. Well, yeah. I guess I can do cool stuff.

Tex: Well, your no call is about to change. There's a place we need to get into a they don't want me to get into it.

York: You know, they never do? What do you think D, should we trust her?

A small, holographic, glowing green soldier appeared next to him.

Delta: Hmm, that depends. Is he still with her?

Ruby: An A.I.!

Tex: What the?! You still have yours?!

She raised her weapon, but Ruby immediately grabbed onto her wrist!

Ruby: Calm down!

Delta: Alarm, threat level raised. 71% chance of violent outcome.

He flickered red as a sign of warning!

York: Okay, take it easy.

Delta: Chance of defeating Omega Texas in combat is extremely unlikely.