Chapter 16 Biting the Hand

Church: You can't just show up and start bossing people around, Tex. Bossing people around is my job. I put in the time.

Tex: We had to leave, we found Wyoming.

The two and Caboose were near the ship.

Church: Yeah, Tucker told me. What happened?

Tex: I though I tracked him back to O'Malley, but by the time we and York got there-

Church: York? Your old Freelancer buddy? Was Carolina with him?

Tex: Which one?

Church: North.

Tex: She was already dead.

Caboose: But what about Bermuda?

Church: That's not a state, dumbass.

Caboose: Portland?

Church: Shut up.

Tex: But he still had Delta with him.

Church: Delta? The A.I.? How? I thought they took them- Wait a minute, wait a minute. How is he still alive? Aren't we hundreds of years in the future?

Tex: I thought it was because of his armor. You know all the Freelancer suits had some kind of enhancements.

Church: Right, like your invisibility.

Caboose: And horrible meanness.

Church: No dude, that's all natural.

Tex: York's was some kind of healing mechanism. It would help him recover from wounds in battle. I thought it might've kept him alive all these years. We could've gotten some information from Wyoming, but he. . . managed to slip away. But from what I remember, back in Freelancer Wyoming had some teleport type thing.

Church: So he can teleport?

Tex: Don't think so, It was more like someone grabbing him from somewhere else.

Church: How is that possible? The only technology that I know can do that is. . . Wait a minute. . . Each Freelancer had an enhanced suit with an A.I., right?

Tex: Right.

Caboose: Riiight.

Church: Your armor was invisibility and your A.I. was Omega?

Tex: Right.

Caboose: Wrong. Oops, missed that one. Can we go back?

Church: What was Wyoming's A.I.?

Tex: Gamma.

Church: *sighs* I gotta make a phone call.

Church did just that. . . .

?: Hello.

Church: Hello, this is Church, Gary, or should I call you Gamma? Have you been lying to us?

Gary: Lying is such a Shisno concept. I mean, human concept.

Church: You're a computer, I thought computer's can't lie.

Gary: They can if they're programmed to lie.

Church: Were you programmed to lie?

Gary: . . . . . . . .No.

Church: God damn it!

Gary: I have to go, Church.

Church: Wait, what about the aliens?! How do we-

Gary: Goodbye.

The Gamma A.I. hung up from his position at the Zanzibar Fortress. . . . Standing before him was his owner.