Part 64

"6-4, we win!" Harlow beamed, jumping into Arthur's arms as she spun her around happily, stumbling slightly as Edward and John chuckled beside them. As her feet settled on the soft grass, Harlow wrapped her arms around her three teammates, wearing a boastful smile as they looked over at the quartet on the other side. Finn was not amused with the outcome of the game they'd played, nor was Jay, but Rose and Michael just seemed thankful to sit down after being stuck running under the beating sun for thirty minutes. 

It was a game of football that began as a friendly activity, but soon enough the six of them were tackling each other to the point that John had to shout at Edward for nearly breaking Rose's leg in midst of them scrambling to get the ball. At the end of the day, it was all a bit of light hearted fun, though Finn struggled to remember that as he slumped back on the picnic mat with red cheeks. 

"I'm exhausted just watching."  Polly exclaimed as she sat beside Ada with a glass of wine in her hand. Whilst they enjoyed spectating in these family competitions, the thought of working up that much of a sweat was a point they were not willing to go to. 

Lizzie was also wise enough not to risk her life, and the baby's, by even stepping near either team during the sporting frenzy. Still worn out from all the work he had been doing, Tommy kept her company and found contentment laughing at his brothers wrestle for the ball when they were on the same team anyway. 

"I need a drink." Harlow announced as she flopped down beside Tommy and Lizzie, clutching her hat to her chest as her breathing gradually slowed down to a reasonable pace. Lizzie giggled in amusement, reaching over to grab some lemonade from the woven basket, holding out to the grateful girl who downed it a little too quickly. Just after Lizzie refilled the glass, Harlow felt it being pried from her hands before she could react.

"I could do with five of those." Jay grinned cheekily after the glass was empty one more, ignoring the tainted glare from his little sister. 

He too slinked down onto his back, covering his eyes from the bright sun that had been relentlessly shining all day. The weather had truly done them justice for once. 

As Harlow laid back on her elbows, she looked out across the land, smiling when she saw Lily, Olly, Charlotte and Isaiah returning from their walk to the stream. It was somewhere Olly had become obsessed with since he found it only a ten minute walk from Tommy's house, and he and Edward had set up a rope swing to make it even more exciting. John swore if his son ever went missing, that's where he'd be found. 

"Aww, Isaiah missed the football game." Lizzie mentioned downheartedly as she grabbed another glass for Harlow since she'd had hers stolen by her brother. Tommy hummed in acknowledgement, looking out at the four advancing figures with a questioning glint in his eye. 

"I think something else was keeping him busy." Tommy mumbled knowingly under his breath so that only Harlow could overhear his words. Slowly, she turned her head to him in confusion, following his line of sight between Isaiah and Lily, before her widening eyes snapped back to the omniscient man, "You don't think...?" Harlow droned off as Charlotte came running over happily, distracting them from their theory. 

"Uncle Tom, I have something for you." The eleven year old girl explained excitedly, her blonde waves rustling gently in the wind, so much so that Harlow swept them back out of her face as she conversed with her uncle. 

"And what's that Charlie?" Tommy enquired interestedly, a hint of a smile on his lips as he waited for his gift. However, as she passed across a crumpled piece of paper, Tommy's eyes narrowed and Harlow glanced over Charlotte's shoulder to get a look. 

His heart dropped when he opened the note; an address and phone number in swirled writing, clearly not written by his niece who sat before him, "The man at the stream said it was a secret message." She giggled, delighted to be encased in the mysterious scheme, completely oblivious to the danger she may have been in.