Part 59

"We can explain." Tommy responded calmly, standing in front of an empty fireplace to take pride of place in the room. Alfie had been sat down for long enough, and decided to slowly examine the room, taking interest in the most miniscule things. The first thing that grabbed his attention was a little china pig that sat on the dusty, curtain covered window sill. 

Rather than focussing on him and his unusual habits, Harlow stared directly back at Tommy, wanting to know the truth, "I want to know why Alfie framed Arthur, I want to know why you already knew he was going to do it, and I want to know why you have been lying about your sister who isn't actually dead." 

Harlow glared accusingly at the Wentworth clan whilst Tommy's and Alfie's eyes widened with intrigue. Clearly this was news that was unknown to them too. The three Wentworth brothers shared an alarmed glance before Dale muttered under his breath, "Well shit." 

"How interesting." Alfie smirked, placing down the ornament and leaning his arms against the back of the sofa so that Harlow could feel his presence directly behind her. She knew he was doing it on purpose, but she pretended to ignore it. 

"Anything to say about that?" Tommy questioned coldly, a curious glint in his eyes as he stared over at Dale and his brothers. 

"Well-" Dale's response was interrupted by Harlow who crossed her arms across her chest, "You told me your sister was dead, so tell me why I've just met her and had a conversation with Lana Sabini."

The attention of the other two gang leaders peaked and Alfie couldn't help but chuckle in realisation, "Your sister is Lana Sabini, she's literally fucking the enemy mate. No wonder you pretend she's dead. Glad I'm an only child." 

Alfie's comments were both unnecessary and not helpful to anyone, but it kept him happy so nobody agued back.

"Exactly," Levi agreed thankfully, relaxing back in his chair whilst Dale shot him a frightening glare. Of the three, he seemed the most uncomfortable by the topic of his sister being raised. Being head of the family, Dale was likely to take it the hardest when Lana left to marry a London gangster who they clearly did not get along with. 

"The sister we knew, our Lana, is dead. That women married to Sabini is not our sister." Dale's tone was quiet and harsh, and everyone was gripped on his every word. Whilst he sounded cruel, nobody could ever imagine what they'd do in his situation. Perhaps they'd be worse. 

"Tommy, imagine if Ada married someone in the IRA." Nick suggested persuasively, "That's how it felt for us." 

Tommy pointed his finger warningly from where he stood, as if about to argue back, but he didn't. Instead, he turned to look over at Alfie who shrugged ambiguously like a child. He obviously didn't care that much, he hadn't created such a trusted relationship with the Wentworths to feel hurt by their lie. 

Harlow stood up quickly and wandered to stand beside Tommy, her mind was bubbling away too much for her to stay in one place. As Tommy glanced at her conflicted expressions, Harlow pulled her coat tightly around her body, and though it offered little comfort, it did help slightly. 

"She warned me about you. Lana said you lie and manipulate and that's why she had to get away." Harlow revealed cautiously, struggling to look the Wentworths in their eyes. Whilst she didn't want them to think she had no trust in them, Harlow also wanted to see if they could really be relied on. 

Unexpectedly, Levi slammed his hands against the table, shaking the room slightly as he stood up in a fit of rage. "This is bullshit. Harlow, don't tell me you actually believe that liar over us." 

As he began to stride over, trying to reassure her of their good nature, Harlow felt herself freeze. For the first time, she felt fear around the Wentworths, and that was something she never imagined.