Part 17

It had been more than a month since Tommy and Harlow had set their plan into motion, and they were both close to breaking point. The family had almost disowned Thomas when they saw him kissing Grace in The Garrison one day; Arthur had to shove John and Jay out of the building to stop them attacking him in public.

None of them could understand why Harlow didn't seem to mind that much. She wasn't one to let people walk all over her, yet she was perfectly happy to let the love of her life get it on with an Irish barmaid. Ada had completely flipped after a few weeks, screaming at Tommy for being an idiot, demanding to know what he was playing at. Harlow felt awful for him, he was cast as a villain when all he was trying to do was save his family. That was the story of his life.

She tried to get them all to lay off him, but they sent her bewildered looks and angry comments, saying Harlow should stand up for herself. The pair had barely been able to talk at all, knowing full well that they couldn't discuss anything in the open. Last Harlow had heard, Grace had started opening up and every time she asked questions, he'd throw either false information or change the topic. It was working, Inspector Campbell hadn't bothered them at all, and Tommy had managed to move the guns to a better hiding place, not just tucked away in the stables for anyone to come across.

One Tuesday morning, Ada invited Harlow to go shopping, but told her to stop by the betting shop first so they could grab some money to deliver to the bank for John. When Harlow arrived, she entered the shop, noticing that it was dark and empty of customers. She shrieked when she felt a large hand grab onto her and push her gently down into a chair in the centre of the room.

"What the fuck is going on?" She demanded, agitated when she noticed Polly, Lizzie, Ada, Finn, Arthur, John and Jay all sat in front of her with blank expressions. Ada pushed a cup of whiskey towards her, Harlow staring at it in disbelief, "I think we should be asking you that. What is going on Harls?"

It was almost laughable, there were six grown adults and a teenage boy in front of her, pestering about her relationship with Tommy like it was some kind of interrogation. "What do you mean?" She responded, crossing her arms across her chest, taking a deep breath. Harlow didn't want to let anything slip, but it was difficult to hold in the extensive lie.

"What we mean is why the fuck are you doing nothing whilst some Irish whore tries to get in Tommy's pants?" John shouted, startling her slightly as she turned to Polly who placed a firm hand on his arm, "What he means is, what's happened Harlow? We don't want Grace in our family, we want you."

Harlow couldn't help but smile, she had never realised how much they wanted her to become a Shelby one day. "I don't know Pol." She shrugged, taking the glass from the table, downing the whiskey in one as Arthur reached out across the table.

"Harlow, do you want us to kick his ass?" She tried to hide a snigger at his offer, but quickly shook her head as the door to the shop opened. It was probably the worst moment in the world for Thomas Shelby to stroll in, looking all righteous in his new tailored suit and polished shoes. When he noticed the group in front of Harlow, he raised an eyebrow, shooting a confused stare to her, "What's going on in here then? Am I no longer invited to family meetings?"

Ada scoffed as he made his way over to the mirror on the wall, straightening his collar calmly, analysing their faces in the reflection. "What are you doing Tom?" Arthur asked bluntly, shaking his head at his little brother in disappointment. Harlow was so close to cracking and just telling them the truth, but she and Tommy had a set plan which she couldn't break.

"I'm getting ready for a meeting brother." Tommy responded obviously, standing behind Harlow's chair expectantly. "You know that's not what he meant." Lizzie added quickly, flickering her eyes between the secretive pair as Thomas snapped, "Right, what the fuck did he mean then Lizzie? I've just about had enough of all of your petty shit." His hand wavered over the angry group as Harlow gulped nervously. Tommy was going to lose it.