Part 18

Later that night, the large crew sat around the neatly set table in the dining room. Much to her annoyance, John and Tommy still hadn't showed even as the freshly filled plates were placed in front of the guests. 

"Where are they?" Harlow muttered to Jay gently who was sat beside her. He shrugged, but the light concern was evident in his blue eyes as he stared at the two empty seats; one beside his sister and the other beside Finn.

Before they tucked in, Harlow knew she needed to say a few words. Well, it should have been Tommy, but his absence was dearly noted. Nonetheless, she plastered a smile onto her face and stood up from her chair, making sure that her lilac dress wasn't creased. Despite the fact that she could fight and argue with any man, she always tried to look her best.

"Good evening everyone. I would just like to thank you all for helping us today." She tried not to glance at the empty seat beside her, but her closest family could tell she was disappointed. Ada gave her a faint smile as she continued, "I'm extremely grateful to have such incredible friends and family, and I hope we can enjoy many more meals like this all together." 

Everyone raised their glasses happily, clinking them with the people around them. Harlow grinned, watching the kids spill some of their juice onto the table, quickly cleaning it up before anyone noticed.

"Actually, before we begin, I'd just like to say something." Jay stood up suddenly and everyone turned to him. He seemed almost nervous, which confused Harlow greatly. "My dear Lizzie and I are engaged." Jay grinned as Lizzie flushed slightly beside him, not used to all the attention. Cheers went up around the table and Harlow beamed; her brother and her best friend were getting married and she couldn't be happier.

"I'm so happy for you!" She hugged her brother tightly as he placed his head on top of hers. Harlow quickly moved over to congratulate Lizzie who was being completely swarmed by an over excited Ada and a proud Polly. Arthur nodded to his friend, patting his shoulder joyfully over the packed table.

The atmosphere for the rest of the meal was high, the news had clearly brightened the day and almost made up for the absence of the two Shelby brothers. By the time dessert was placed on the table, Harlow's feeling of anxiety had spread greatly. She knew how greedy John was, so it was strange for him to miss a large banquet. The fact that Arthur and Jay were oblivious to their whereabouts made her even more stressed.

******

Eventually, the food had been devoured, and some of the Blinders had returned home back to Small Heath. Isaiah, Curly, Charlie and Johnny had left to attend to the horses and the stables, but not before thanking Harlow for the meal and wishing farewell to the family. Danny and his boys had also departed, explaining how his wife, Rosie, would be worried if they were too late back. Harlow knew how that felt all too well.

This left the remainder to the family to wander through to the comfortable, warm lounge where the classic fire had been set and the flames roared strongly in the background. Lizzie, Jay and Ada all sat quietly on one of the red sofas, whilst Polly and Arthur both sat in separate, gold edged armchairs, clutching a small glass of Tommy's whiskey. Finn and John's kids had claimed the other long sofa, Charlotte was sound asleep, sprawled across her cousin's lap whilst the other three chatted amongst themselves.

Meanwhile, Harlow couldn't help but pace the room, conscious of the ticking clock alerting her of Tommy's ever-growing disappearance. "Stop it." Jay called to her, motioning to a spare seat with his head. Harlow sighed deeply, plonking herself down onto the cushions, gazing up at the ceiling as a distraction.

"If there was trouble, we'd be there too." Arthur uttered in a hushed tone, trying to reassure her. Harlow bowed her head, finally noticing how tired the kids were, she needed to take them to bed. "Right, it's late. Bedtime for you lot." She declared as Edward sighed, wanting to stay with the adults.