Part 68

"I don't know where you're getting his absolute bullshit from, but I suggest you fucking leave before making any more ridiculous allegations." Polly demanded, pointing her arm dramatically towards the door with a raging gleam in her dark eyes. She knew that what he said was in fact true, but not in the way Freddie had meant it. Harlow did not sleep with Inspector Campbell willingly, and that was the issue at hand. 

"But it's true though, isn't it Harlow?" Freddie pried, gazing directly at the brunette before John's hand slapped down on his shoulder, pushing him towards the door since he wasn't going to leave by his own accord. 

"What fucking rubbish." Arthur grumbled, squaring up in front of Freddie, tilting his head to the side to examine his stern expression before stepping aside so that John could continue his journey to dispose of his presence from the room. 

Tommy followed them out the room angrily, sparing a sympathetic for Harlow who nodded to him as he left, knowing that he would deal with her father and make sure he didn't return any time soon. 

"If either of them show up again, I will kill them myself." Polly hissed, the fury identifiable in her few words, and everybody knew she wasn't lying. If Polly said something, she meant it. She rarely broke a promise, especially not one of such significance. 

Harlow cleared her throat, acknowledging that they all believed Polly over Freddie, thankfully allowing her to carry on as normal. Well, as normal as could be in the situation. The only thing that would come out of her revealing her abuse was murder; murder that would have one of her family or friends hung in the gallows. She'd much rather take the secret to her grave, or she would just have to seek revenge of his actions herself. 

"I cannot even fathom what made either of them think they'd be welcome here, even if they did have to send the unfortunate news." Lizzie complained venomously, her pregnancy hormones only emphasising the disbelief she felt running through her veins as she stood with her hand on Ada's shoulder. 

"Someone needs to tell Finn," Ada thought quickly, glancing over towards Arthur who was her only remaining brother in the room since John and Tommy had gone to 'sort out' the issue. He nodded, a forlorn expression spreading onto his face at the thought of having to share the potentially upsetting news of their father's death. However, every member of the family felt differently about him, so it was impossible to tell how Finn would react. 

"We can reconvene this meeting at a later date, I think we should retire to the function room and leave you in peace. Our condolences." Dale suggested smartly, realising that his brothers were hardly improving the situation by standing around awkwardly, not understanding what was going on. Arthur nodded thankfully as the Wentworth's began to leave, returning a small sign of condolences following the news. 

Regardless of his brothers, Nick stayed by Ada's side, communicating silently with Dale who understood what he was doing and patted Callum on the back as they left. 

"Why can we never just have a normal day?" Michael queried quietly, spinning his water gently around in his glass as he remained perched at the dining table. The repetitive pacing of his mother's footsteps were soothing at first, but gradually became an annoying routine.

"We're in a room with a Shelby, a Wentworth and a Solomons. I hate to tell you Michael, but you're never going to have an ordinary day again." Jay remarked honestly, slapping his hand down on the Gray's shoulder in a friendly manner. 

"I don't know if that's a compliment or a criticism." Alfie responded, leaning against the table on the other side, raising an eyebrow questioningly. 

"Take it as you will." Jay smirked, purposely standing in the way so that Polly had to stop her pacing. However, she took this as a turning point, and crossed her arms forcefully, "You know what, I'm going to give that man a piece of my mind. Thinking he can just march in here all self entitled." She declared, slinging her silk scarf around her neck as Michael twisted around in his chair.