Part 51

Warning - Mentions of Sexual Assault. Please do not read if you do not feel comfortable.

"Before we talk about Mr Gray," The Inspector began slowly, perching in his chair like it was his royal throne, "I hear that the Peaky Blinders have began an... expansion." His smirk was blatantly obvious as he stared at the stern brunette before him. She was just as stubborn as Tommy, if not more so. The Inspector didn't know what he was letting himself in for. 

"And I see that they haven't promoted you for finding the guns." Harlow retaliated slyly, feeling a small sense of accomplishment as the grin slid from his miserable, wrinkled face. He really was a gruelling man to look at. 

Campbell sighed heavily, shaking his head as she changed the topic. A keen pair of eyes followed him as the Inspector pulled a few sheets of paper in front of him, scanning it like it was the most interesting thing in the whole of Birmingham, "Here I was thinking we could have a nice chat." 

Harlow scoffed, leaning on the right armrest, narrowing her eyes in attempt to read the swirled lettering that decorated the paper. It was futile, especially if the Inspector was going to read it out anyway. 

As the awkward silence bounced around the room, Harlow was grateful for the knock at the door that occurred as a fellow officer she had never seen before made his way in with a tray. It held two cups of tea, which the Inspector gestured to be placed on the desk before the man left without a word. Nobody in the station seemed very sociable, yet that was unsurprising. 

The Inspector pushed a cup towards Harlow before he sipped on his own tea, ignoring the tension that was arising in the room. She stared down at it, but took a few large gulps, feeling the need to fully sober up after the drinking spree with Polly. 

"So, you want Mr Gray released from our custody even though he technically broke the law?" The Inspector enquired as Harlow slapped her hand against the table in annoyance, "How did he break the law?" 

He pointed to a paragraph on the form, happiness evident in his eyes. He was loving every second of watching his enemy squirm, "It says here that he violently attack an officer after he tried to split up a fight between Michael and another man." 

"That's bullshit, Michael would never." Harlow argued strongly, gazing at the Inspector with scepticism and a look of hatred. She knew how the police could manipulate records, but usually they wouldn't dare try and mess with the Peaky Blinders. 

"I can't mistake the facts, they are right here in black and white." Campbell sneered from underneath his bushy eyebrows. 

"I want him out tonight." Harlow demanded, taking another sip of tea as she felt a wave of uneasiness. From the amount she had drank earlier in the night, she was pleasantly surprised she could still think straight. 

Narrowing her eyes in an attempt to clear her vision, the smirking face of the Inspector became no more than a ghost, blurring in and out of reality. She felt herself fall forwards, her arms failing to catch her numb body as she collapsed against the wooden desk. 

Her mind was clear, but it flooded with panic as her body became physically useless, like a limp rag doll. After all the precautions she had taken to keep herself safe in Small Heath, she had never prepared for that one single thing. 

"Michael will be let out by morning, he was just a path to you. But next time, Harlow Winters, maybe you'll take more care of what people put in your tea." His disgusting breath flooded across her neck, and all she could do what pray to God that whatever was about to happen would be over soon.  

***

In that moment, Harlow Winters had never felt weaker in her whole life. Not even as a child, or when her father left all those years ago. As she stumbled away from the dark police station as the sun began to emerge from behind the roofs, the brunette could safely say it was the worst she had ever felt.