Part 15

The walk home had been awkward to say the least, the kids constantly eyeing their Uncle Thomas to make sure they didn't feel his wrath; not that he'd ever hurt the children. When they entered the betting shop, everyone had waited for the meeting, mostly still sat in the same seats as before.

John looked up at his kids as Tommy stormed straight through to the kitchen, ignoring the puzzled stares he received as he did so. "Just leave him, it's fine." Harlow announced tenderly as everyone moved their eyes to her by the door. She allowed Isaiah and Finn to pass before locking the shop and sliding into a seat beside her brother.

"Have you been scrapping again?" John examined Edward's face from afar, noticing the faint bruising even in the tinted light. His oldest son shuffled nervously on the spot as Finn placed a hand on his shoulder, about to speak.

"It was my fault." Charlotte shouted quickly, jumping up onto Jay's lap, causing everyone to raise their eyebrows. They all knew Charlotte was not one for fighting, she was a lot sneakier with her battles. John frowned at his daughter, about to address her when another voice echoed around the room.

"No, it was my fault." Lily uttered, wiping her long hair out of her eyes awkwardly when she saw that all attention was on her. Harlow couldn't help but grin at their loyalty, neither one of the siblings wanted to get anyone in trouble. "It wasn't my fault, but I feel like I'm supposed to say it was." Olly exclaimed, sending a small wave of laughter around the room. Even Polly was amused, and she hated fighting.

"All jokes aside, I want the truth." John demanded when the room had quietened down. Finn explained the events thoroughly, looking to his brother every so often to check her was following along. It turned out that it was the Headteacher's son who had picked a fight with the Shelby's, meaning he was never going to receive an official punishment. "And then I came back in and Harlow was on the floor and Tommy just kept beating hi-"

Harlow coughed loudly, glaring at Finn, "Right, that's quite enough of that story." She muttered uncomfortably, noticing a serious Tommy as he strolled back through the blue, double doors, his hands no longer red. She glanced over at him as he sat in the neighbouring seat, giving her a small nod and a faint smile.

"Shall we start the meeting then?" Arthur interrupted the silence, tapping his fingers against the table gently. "Isaiah, do you mind?" He motioned towards the door and the boy immediately began to leave.

"Wait, I said he should come." Harlow remembered, staring between the three Shelby brothers who eyed her warily. "Since when?" John grilled, removing his jacket and roughly chucking it on the chair behind him.

"Since he saved your kids life this morning and got hit by a car in the process." Harlow explained calmly, watching as Isaiah lingered by the door, not knowing who to listen to. John crossed his arms stubbornly and muttered a quiet apology as Tommy waved the newest member back into the group. He took his position next to Finn and Edward, leaning against the sturdy brick wall in content. Isaiah had never had a proper family, it had always been just him and his dad, but perhaps now his luck was about to change.

******

To say the meeting was boring had to be an understatement. Jay and John started talking about the books whilst Ada complained that somebody had added up wrong in one column and Lizzie couldn't read the workers scruffy handwriting. Harlow was as unimpressed as the children were. They were all sat picking at their nails or nearly falling asleep in Olly's case.

Arthur mentioned something about The Garrison and finally something caught Harlow's attention, "I've hired a new barmaid. She's called Grace, she's Irish and she can sing like a bloody angel." Her familiar nationality caused Harlow to frown slightly; two Irish arriving on the same day to Small Heath couldn't be a coincidence. Polly noticed her reservations yet didn't act there and then.