Part 1

1914

The Birmingham train station was heaving, full of tearful wives, sobbing mothers and innocent, confused children waving their men off to war. For most, it would be the final time they'd ever see their significant others, the poor men had basically signed their own death warrants when they volunteered to protect their country and family.

Amidst the bustling crowd, Harlow Winters stood calmly, trying to preserve her emotions for after the steam train had left. With his confident, eager nature, her older brother Jay had been willing to go and fight in France as soon as the potential threat was announced. His priority was to keep the people he loved safe, and this was one hell of a way to do it.

He wasn't going alone, of course not. His five best friends were determined to go along for the ride, therefore quintupling the worry that had nestled its way into Harlow's heart and mind. She had grown up with them, and the thought of losing any single one almost ripped her to shreds.

Firstly there was Freddie Thorne, one of the funniest people she had ever met. He had never once failed to make her smile, admitting that he adored the sound of her graceful laugh even if it was at his expense.

Then there was Danny Owen, the topmost prized fighter in Small Heath, just slightly below the Shelbys, however. His stern, strong build scared many, yet he was nothing but kind to Harlow and his friends, always cracking jokes even at the lowest of times.

Additionally, nobody could forget the iconic Shelby brothers.

John Shelby was one of the closest to Harlow, constantly viewing her as his little sister, despite the fact that she was a few years older than him. At every given moment, he would mock her about her height, as she was a little on the small side. Nonetheless, his beautiful smile was infectious and when he wasn't around, it was like a magical, protective barrier had fallen down.

The oldest in the group was Arthur, always dragging the other five boys into trouble wherever they went, not that anyone minded. He loved Harlow, vowing to protect her with his life. To him, she became one of his siblings, and although they weren't really related, nobody could tell the difference. Arthur's only issue was his extreme anger and unpredictability, which often frightened people away from him. Nevertheless, Harlow knew better than to judge him as you could not find a sweeter and gentler person than him if you tried.

Finally, there was Thomas Shelby. His tactically wired brain and smart decisions often left Harlow in awe, she always wanted to learn as much as she could from the genius of a man. As much as she hated to admit it, Tommy had it all, the looks, the brains, the brawn. His face had clearly been chiselled by angels from above, and he knew it all too well. Harlow had boldly taken it upon herself to make sure he never got too arrogant, not that it seemed to faze him the slightest little bit.

Having said that, he had a heart of pure gold, the love he had for his family and friends was unbeatable. Tommy had a major soft spot for his best friend's sister, continuously insisting that he would marry her someday, and although Harlow believed he was joking, he clearly was not. His priorities were fixed between business and family, always seeming to know the perfect balance; but now it was all about to change.

Now, in the peak of the summer season, her precious group was being carelessly ripped away from her, to fight the battles of those in charge who wouldn't do it themselves. The working men were pawns in a much larger game between nations, to the government, they were just a number.

Who cares if a child loses their father?

Does it matter that a mother will outlive her sons?

Not to mention the enormous number of grieving widows left in the wake of the battle.

Standing beside Polly, Ada and her friend Lizzie, she smiled at her boys who waved excitedly from the comfort of their train compartment. The six of them hadn't really thought it all through, thinking that it would just be all fun and games and they'd be home eating turkey for Christmas.

No, not a chance.

Harlow knew they wouldn't return the same carefree men she had always known and loved. At some point, the great misery and pain would hit them like a bulldozer, forever fracturing their minds and souls. It was inevitable.

As the disturbing horn sounded loudly, the soon to be soldiers waved and shouted erratically, basking in the glory before it was all whipped away from them in just a short period of time.

Locking eyes with Tommy one more time was enough to break her heart. His glistening, baby blue stare created goose bumps on her arms as she nodded understandingly to him. Unlike the others, he knew what they had signed up for. It was more than likely that he'd die in France, but it was a chance he was prepared to take to ensure the safety of his family back home.

Gradually, the roaring locomotive wheeled out of the busy station, stealing away the finest Birmingham had to offer. Harlow's arms were placed tightly on John's eldest son's shoulders, attempting to reassure him.

Between the four women frozen on the platform, they had the responsibility of running the Shelby company whilst raising John's four kids and Ada's youngest brother, Finn, into respectable individuals. Unfortunately, John's wife had died not long before the war was announced, and since then Harlow had done the best she could to support the four kids in any aspect of their lives.

She would help Edward and Lily with their homework, since their father would often get frustrated due to the stress of the ever-growing company. At night, she would read enthusiastically to Olly and little Charlotte who were constantly joined at the hip, making sure to dramatize every action which made them squeal and giggle. All four of them were under 7, creating what could only be described as a mad house, yet Harlow didn't mind one bit.

Although she was more than willing to look after Finn, she knew that Aunt Polly had a firm focus on him, treating him like her own son. At the tender age of 11, she knew how difficult it must be to watch his 3 older brothers leave, just as his dad had done years before, leaving them all in the lurch. Even though the circumstances were much different, the bitter, stabbing pain was still very much identical.

"Right ladies," Polly's cold voice sliced through the silence, "Let's get these kids home and fed." She pulled her black, sheer hat lower down her face, as if to cover her distraught expression from the children who stood noiselessly before her. Lizzie wrapped a comforting arm around Ada's shoulder as the Shelby struggled not to let her sobs out in public.

They all knew that Ada would be hit the most. It seemed that she inherited all the combined emotion that her brothers were lacking. When her father had left so soon after their mother's death, it nearly tore the small girl apart. The lack of sleep was evident on her face and from the constant faint cries that they all heard at night. Despite the fact that she had grown stronger since, Lizzie wanted to keep a close watch on her, in order to prevent a repeat of the past.

Staring after Ada sympathetically, Polly grasped Finn's hand in hers, as if in an effort to not lose her last remaining nephew. With her other shaking hand, she reached out for Charlotte who immediately chose to seek refuge with her Great Aunt. Edward had his head fixated on the floor, already missing the witty conversation that had always been thrown around when his father and uncles were here.

Harlow almost felt like she was talking as if they had already died. They hadn't, but it sure felt like it.

Supportively, she led the other three kids out of the now quiet station, feeling her heart shatter as the distance between herself and the train grew wider.