Part 6

Harlow stood motionlessly, behind her desk with her hands firmly placed on her hips. She still had the fake smile, trying to insist that there were no problems, but Tommy wasn't buying it one bit. He had known the girl since she was 7 years old, and he knew when something was wrong.

"What's really going on?" He questioned gingerly, looking into her clouded eyes as she refused to let her chin drop. Harlow's cheekbones were starting to ache, "Everything is fine, Tommy." She didn't want him hearing the threat, as she knew he would charge headfirst at the problem, most likely getting someone she cared for injured or killed in the crossfire.

Sighing, he stood up, walking over to Harlow so that she was trapped between himself and her desk, not able to escape telling him the truth. Nervously, she crossed her arms across her chest, not breaking eye contact with the flawless man, but she knew he could read her like an open book. He had a way with people; he could see every lie, every fake smile and every ounce of fear.

They stared at each other for a while, Harlow not daring to speak. Nevertheless, when he raised his eyebrow expectantly, she caved. It was his company, and this was Thomas Shelby, after all. 

Exhausted, she leaned back to perch on her desk, having lost all motivation to keep him from the truth. Tommy couldn't help but feel sympathetic towards her, she was drained. Her mounds of energy had been used up to keep a business going that wasn't even in her family name.

"I have a problem Tommy, but I can sort it. You and the boys should just enjoy being at home for a while." A slight smile tugged at her lips, as she felt his watchful eyes on her. His brain was working fast, trying to figure out how to go about the situation.

Gently, he brought his hand up to her face, tilting her smooth chin up so she could see him as he responded, "Harlow, don't think that I can't tell how tired you are. I can see it in your eyes. It isn't your job to worry about us men, we're supposed to worry about you. Tell me what's going on, then I can help you." His thumb rubbed her temple comfortingly, moving the wavy strands of hair out of her troubled face as she nodded, fiddling with her hands in her lap. It was difficult to confess that she was struggling after having to face everything alone for such a long time, but Tommy wasn't just anyone and she could trust him with her life.

"Okay, you know how we have the four betting zones at the races? Well Billy Kimber came in here and threatened to kill the whole family if I don't sign them all over by next week. We have no men Tommy, he has vans full. As much as I hate to admit it, I can't protect this family from him." Her fearful eyes only made his concern stronger as he tugged Harlow to her feet, gripping her bony shoulders.

"Harlow look at me." He paused slightly, realising their close proximity.

"We have men now; you don't need to worry about this any longer. I swear I won't let any harm come to the family, or you for that matter." Her breathing was calm as he finished and tugged her into a protective embrace, holding her softly against his neck as he whispered to her a faint, "Thank you."

She furrowed her brows in confusion, "Why are you thanking me?" Respectively, she stepped back away from the Shelby, so they were no longer touching, even though his body heat felt soothing to her. Although around most, he had a cold, thick exterior, inside she knew he was soft deep inside.

"You've made this company more successful than I could ever have dreamed of. But you don't need to stress anymore, because we're back to take over. From tomorrow, you're free to do what you want." He rubbed her arm comfortingly, whilst Harlow stood, letting out a quiet huff of understanding.

She knew it was coming, she knew that there was no way she could keep running this business. Harlow Winters had created an empire from nothing, and just like that, it was all gone. She couldn't argue, it was his name on the door, it was the Shelby name that people had grown to respect and fear, despite the fact that it was controlled by the young Winters girl.