Part 46

"God, I hate men." Ada stated boldly as they entered the house after navigating the streets of London for the previous ungodly hour. In that time they had been hit on about six separate times, none of which made the girls feel anything apart from disgust and annoyance. 

They didn't realise how much the Shelby name sheltered them in Birmingham. If they were lucky, soon everyone in London would keep their comments and looks to themselves.

"She says to the corridor full of men." Callum joked as they noticed the Wentworths hanging up their coats at the end of the hallway, all wearing cheerful smiles signifying that the day had gone well. Harlow felt relief flood through her; they'd all made it through another good day of business, and for once they were happy. 

Ada shrugged ambiguously, toying with a grin on her glossed lips, "I said what I said." 

Nick chuckled, shaking his head as he offered Ada his hand so she could take off her shoes without toppling over which she took gratefully. 

"What time is it?" Harlow asked to nobody in particular, hoping that they hadn't left it too late to start getting ready. Dale carefully pulled out his golden pocket watch from under his black, suit jacket and opened it with a soft click, "It's half past six." 

Ada and Harlow shared an alarmed look, not realising that the majority of the day had passed and that Alfie Solomons would be arriving in half an hour. 

"Shit." Ada muttered, grabbing the dress from the banister and pushing Harlow towards the stairs with a hurried look in her eyes, "Go, you have thirty minutes." 

Harlow nodded agreeing, running up the stairs as fast as she could before waiting for Ada to help her change. She needed a miracle to be ready in time, but she would have to make the best of it. 

***

"Ada, what time is it?" Harlow stressed for the seventh time as the Shelby carefully pinned a few pearl clips into the Winters quickly styled hair. Being the talented woman she was, Ada had managed to twist the brunette's hair into a beautiful up do, leaving a few strands at the front to frame her face perfectly. 

"Stop worrying, we're nearly done." Ada reassured, passing Harlow the red lipstick to apply whilst she completed the hair style. Even though Harlow didn't see the meal as anything other than a step forward for the business, she still wanted to look her best. Part of her wanted to make a certain Shelby jealous.

The pair jumped suddenly when they heard the doorbell ring loudly throughout the busy house, and checking the watch it was dead on seven. Harlow turned around anxiously, clutching her best friend's hands with a desperate glint in her eyes. 

"Ada, you have to get the door before any of the others do. Don't let John or Arthur in the hallway. You know what they're like!" Harlow pleaded as the brunette laughed, hurrying out of the room, "I'm on it." 

Harlow breathed a sigh of relief as she checked her reflection in the gold plaited mirror. She had to admit that she did look wonderful, and Ada had done an incredible job with the hair and the makeup added a touch of flare. 

As she slipped on her silver heels and clutched her bag by her waist, Harlow was feeling confident and ready to leave. That was until she bumped into Tommy on the landing.

There was an uncomfortable silence as Harlow carefully shut the bedroom door when she noticed Tommy leaning against the oak banister that bordered the staircase. 

Thomas Shelby looked pale, ill even; and that was something he never was. The usual light rosy colour in his cheeks had drained from his body, and his cheekbones were more prominent, insinuating that he hadn't been eating properly.