Part 52

Warning - Mentions of Sexual Assualt/Rape

It had been a slow few days for the Harlow, Michael and Polly, but that was just what they needed. Ada had popped round whilst Harlow was still fast asleep, and Polly had made up the excuse that she was feeling under the weather. They kept the truth about Michael's stay in the cell and Harlow's ordeal to themselves. 

It wasn't that they didn't trust Ada, Lizzie and Rose, it just wasn't something they wanted known if they could help it. 

Michael had spoke to Isaiah and told him to keep the arrest under wraps on Polly's orders. He immediately agreed, feeling more frightened to disobey Polly Gray than anyone else in the entire country. They had tied up lose ends, and kept out of the spotlight. In the grand scheme of things, everything seemed to be going okay under the circumstances. 

"I might go back to my house tonight Pol, I think it's time." Harlow spoke up as they finished off a bowl of beef stew for lunch. She had thought about it for the past few days, and growing up as independent as she was, Harlow felt bad intruding in Polly's home and stealing Michael's bed. 

"Are you sure darling? You know you are always welcome here." Polly responded with a raised eyebrow, placing her spoon down beside her bowl. Michael glanced between the pair, trying to gage Polly's thoughts on the idea, and she seemed slightly unsure. 

"I can't hide away here forever Pol, but thank you. I'm sure I'll be fine." The brunette smiled fondly, beginning to tidy away the pots even though Polly always shooed her away. 

Michael passed along his dish, looking up at Harlow was he suggested a compromise, "Why don't I come and stay in the guest room until you get fully settled? It's been a while since you've lived alone without Jay or..." Michael droned off before mentioning Tommy's name as he sensed Polly's anger flare up again. He wasn't sure why she was so furious with her nephew, but it made sense in his mother's head. 

"Only if you're sure Michael, that sounds great." She grinned, placing the pots on the sideboard as the sink began to fill up gradually. Michael returned a smile, daring a glance back at his mother who nodded happily, content with the new living arrangements. She knew that Michael wouldn't let any harm come to Harlow if he could help it, and vice versa. 

If only everyone protected Harlow in that same way.

***

"Can you grab my bag whilst I get the key?" Harlow asked politely as herself and Michael lingered outside her house, a few houses down and across the road from Polly's. It wasn't a big distance, but it felt like a huge step. It was the first time she had left the house since the incident, apart from to collect the milk bottles from the front door step. She felt a little apprehensive, but she was thankful that Michael was there to keep her company. 

After finding the key, Harlow pushed the door open as a stream of expensive cars came trundling down the road. They did like to make an entrance. 

The pair watched from the doorstep as one by one they came to a halt, and the Birmingham boys began to jump out, great smiles on their faces. Arthur, John and Jay shoved each other out onto the pavement, messing around like they were teenagers. 

The Wentworths climbed out beside them, leaving the three cars at the side of the road, nobody would dare touch them. Finally Thomas Shelby climbed out, glancing up and down the street calmly. Harlow jumped back the second they locked eyes, guiding Michael inside so he could dump his stuff in the guest bedroom. It was a distraction from having to admit the truth. 

Back down on the street, Tommy narrowed his eyes, turning away as Harlow shut the front door, focussing his attention back on his brothers who had been pestering for a drink the whole ride back. As much as he enjoyed the thrill of taking over London, he was glad to be back, even if it wasn't permanent.