Part 28

After swiftly paying for the dress, despite the owner's adamance that it was on the house, the trio returned back home and joyously strolled down Watery Lane with their arms interlocked. Harlow was very appreciative that her miscarriage had not been mentioned, and instead they focussed on the positives such as wedding cakes and bridesmaids' dresses.

"I'm thinking maybe a baby pink for you two." Lizzie announced as they made their way towards The Garrison. "But it's your choice." She quickly interjected making Harlow laugh lightly, shaking her friends arm at her calmness. "Lizzie, it's your choice, it's your big day. You know full well if Ada was getting married, everything would be just how she liked it."

Lizzie giggled as Ada reached across her to slap Harlow's arm gently, "I'm not that bossy." Obviously that was a lie, and even the Shelby herself knew it. "Anyway, it's not like I'm ever going to get married, is it?" She frowned softly, pushing the door open to the pub and strolling over to the private compartment. Lizzie and Harlow shared a knowing look; they'd had this conversation many times before.

"One day Ada, I promise you." Harlow reassured as the trio stepped into the private seating area, where the four boys were already sat with a glass of whiskey each. They looked up from their conversation, uttering a quick hello to the girls as they slid into the booth around the table. Jay pressed a small kiss to Lizzie's cheek as she perched beside him, before continuing his chat with Arthur.

"Don't make promises you can't keep Harls." Ada winked over at her before sneakily stealing John's drink that sat firmly on the table. Harlow rolled her eyes as she felt an arm wrap around her waist lovingly. She turned to Tommy who offered her a small smile, before he glanced over at Ada who leaned back beside John, "What's this about?" He asked, sipping his whiskey with an intrigued glint in his eye.

"Ada thinks she'll never get married." Lizzie joined the debate, just as Arthur and Jay finished theirs and turned their attention to the rest of the group. Tommy rose an eyebrow as John smirked at his little sister with a cheeky glare, "Well, it's not our fault that no boys go near you."

Harlow bit her lip to stop herself giggling as Ada looked over at her, shaking her head in disbelief. "I think it is precisely your fault." She retaliated, as John wrapped an arm around her shoulders irritatingly.

Everybody was very much aware how many boys had been scared away from Ada, much to her annoyance. With 3 older brothers, she knew life was never going to be easy; but she had always hoped for a knight in shining armour.

"Don't worry Ada, I know a guy." Harlow winked, tapping her nose as the boys stared at her sceptically, not at all believing the brunette. Lizzie sent her a confused glance, but didn't utter a word, not wanting to get involved with Harlow's business.

John coughed awkwardly, leaning against his sister who peered up at him expectantly, "Speaking of weddings, I'm getting married."

Arthur choked on his drink at the words as Jay patted him on the back to stop him from travelling to an early grave. Harlow shared a suspicious glance with Lizzie and Ada before turning back to John to question him. This was the first she'd heard of John even liking a woman, never mind marrying her. Of course they had doubts. However, Tommy beat her to it, "So, who's the unlucky woman?"

Harlow cringed, awaiting the name of some prostitute from a few roads down as a faint knock came from the other side of the door, making all heads turn. Nobody knocked on the Shelby compartment, not unless they had a meeting, or perhaps a death wish.

John walked over quickly, and Harlow couldn't help but gasp happily.

"Everyone, this is my fiancé Rose. Rose, this is everyone."